Greetings, Spider-fans and true believers! I'm swinging in with another round of news, memes, and entertainment. This is the Friday edition of Evening Reading!
In case you missed it at Shacknews:
- Way of the Hunter review - Rushing the shot
- EVO 2022 set a strong foundation for the future of the fighting game event
- Judge denies Robinhood (HOOD) motion to dismiss market manipulation allegations
- Resident Evil & Devil May Cry veteran producer leaves Capcom for NetEase
- Sonic Frontiers will not be delayed, says Sega
- Hogwarts Legacy gets new 2023 release date
- New 'reimagined' Alone in the Dark announced during THQ Nordic Showcase
- Space for Sale is a new management sim from Little Big Workshop devs
- TwitchCon San Diego 2022 will have indoor COVID measures following backlash
- Tempest Rising is an upcoming sci-fi RTS from 3D Realms & Slipgate Ironworks
- Wreckreation is a new open-world sandbox racing game from creators of Burnout & NFS
- South Park Digital Studios teases new game at end of THQ Nordic Showcase
- AEW Fight Forever will be playable for the first time at Gamescom 2022
- Shack Chat: What is your favorite Spider-Man picture?
And, because it's the weekend, go find yourself something to play!
- Weekend Console Download Deals for Aug. 12: PlayStation Summer Sale last call
- Weekend PC Download Deals for Aug. 12: CD Projekt RED turns 10
Around the gaming horn
For tonight, let's focus on some of the stories we missed during the THQ Nordic Showcase.
The future of THQ Nordic is looking quite bright.
And now... Other Stuff From The Internet!!!
Bald Eagle pair giving looks. 🦅 pic.twitter.com/u9AjaatvZ8— Jocelyn Anderson Photography (@JocAPhotography) August 12, 2022
Auditions for the role of Eagley are getting intense.
The past, present, and future of bricks
LEGO is building up to its 90th anniversary with a rare inside look at the company's Danish headquarters.
Eight years? Really?
It’s been 8 years👻 pic.twitter.com/WKiUIvt1BQ— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) August 12, 2022
This year, the big outrage in pop culture is the cancelation of Batgirl. Eight years ago, video games faced something similar when fans were treated to an exciting demo that turned out to be a collaboration between Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro, and Norman Reedus. Just as everyone got excited about the full PT project... well... it didn't happen.
Eight years later, we still wonder what might have been. So does GDT.
Rumbleverse: Week 1
Let's check in on the first week of Iron Galaxy's new battle royale!
Rumbleverse:— RIZE | GriffyBones @ Summer Jam (@GriffyBones) August 12, 2022
Was having trouble getting good combos off high wallsplats where ground attacks wouldn't reach. I think air grabs/specials are the answer pic.twitter.com/4dAAhTlsyj
Ker-splatting other players on the wall has proven a popular tactic and it's one that has spread throughout the game.
Grapplers can do a lot of things, but they can't swim.
Some SUPER cheap @Rumbleverse tech, for some reason doing an air Vicious with the Street Sign onto a bouncy surface builds INSANE momentum instantly, leading to a huge AOE unblockable that does like 1000 base damage (without red pots)— Mustard (@PNDMustard) August 13, 2022
I was told about this by @Stryker_FGC pic.twitter.com/l4fi4PRvnn
Don't "STOP" what you're doing, Mustard!
I may be an old-school wrestling fan, but I don't remember chairs ever being able to do that.
Some real Hancock vibes going here.
Boingy boingy boingy!
Nothing but the Hotfix
For this week's Hotfix, we look at a game that surprisingly hasn't seen a lot of speedruns yet: the single-player Pokemon Legends: Arceus. The target time is currently at 3:55:00, so let's see if Halqery can crack it.
GDQ's Hotfix shows air every week and you can catch them all at the Games Done Quick Twitch account.
This week in Shaqnews
The Shaquille O'Neal advice column didn't go where I expected it to.
IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!
Guess who's back!
Tonight in video game music
From GameChops Radio, get down with this funky album filled with mixes from some of the best games from the 1990s.
That's your Evening Reading to send you into this second weekend of August! Keep the spirit of the classic Evening Reading alive by jumping into the comments about whatever you see here or whatever randomness you'd like to discuss. Join the conversation and dive into the Shacknews Chatty comment thread below. I'll see you all next week!