Of all the blockbuster games scheduled for release this year, Doom Eternal is one of the most anticipated. "Doom 2016" pulled off what many believed to be an impossible feat: rebooted the franchise in a way that paid tribute to its roots, while fusing classic systems with new ideas such as collectibles and weapon upgrades.
Doom 2016 ripped and tore its way to critical acclaim, and earned the Shacknews Game of the Year award.
Its sequel, Doom Eternal, has big shoes to fill. Ahead of its release this Friday, Shacknews is hosting Countdown to Doomsday, a slate of features that celebrate Doom Eternal's imminent release and the 26-year (and counting) history of the Doom franchise. Every day this week, Shacknews will publish interviews, let's-plays, our patented Long Read deep dives, and other content that delves into the fandom, creation, and longevity of Doom.
This article serves as a content hub. New content will be published on our front page and in our Chatty community as it goes live; it will also be linked here, so bookmark this page and check back often for updates. Features will come online at 9:00am Pacific/noon Eastern, and 2:00pm Pacific/5:00pm Eastern each day. Every now and then, we'll treat you to extra daily features; those will follow a looser schedule, but they'll be linked here when they're ready.
Enjoy this week, Doom Slayers. Rip and tear until it (reading, watching, listening, and more) is done.
Monday, March 16
- (9am PT/12pm ET) Insanely Fast: Bethesda's Pete Hines talks Doom Eternal
- (2pm PT/5pm ET) Stairway to Badass: The Making and Remaking of Doom
Tuesday, March 17
- (9am PT/12pm ET) Icon of Sin: Doom and the Making of John Romero's Sigil
- (2pm PT/5pm ET) Knee-Deep in the Ports: Ranking the Best (and Worst) Versions of Doom
Wednesday, March 18
- (9am PT/12pm ET) Apollo 11 Situations: John Romero on Porting Doom and Wolfenstein 3D
- (2pm PT/5pm ET) Super Doom: How id Software's Opus Made the Jump to Super NES
Thursday, March 19
- (9am PT/12pm ET) Voices in the Blood: Scott Patterson and the Terrifying Soundscape of Doom 64
- (2pm PT/5pm ET) Dev Chat 01 - Doom 64 Composer Aubrey Hodges
- (4pm PT/7pm ET) Shacknews Plays: Doom PSX, Episode One
Friday, March 20
- (12am PT/3am ET) Hell Razer: The Making of Doom Eternal
- (2pm PT/5pm ET) Shack Chat: What is your earliest (or favorite) Doom memory?
Like the Doom Slayer, our work is never done. Below, you'll find strategy guides, video features, and other Shacknews content related to Doom Eternal.
- Doom Eternal review: written and video
- Doom Eternal PC build guide - A shrine to the Slayer
- 5 things we want in Doom Eternal
- Hugo Martin interview: Doom Eternal is "nutritional content"
- Doom Eternal will feature a roguelike difficulty higher than Nightmare
- Doom Eternal hands-on preview: Hell on Earth
- Shacknews review: Doom 2016
- Shacknews GOTY 2016: Doom
David Craddock posted a new article, Countdown to Doomsday: Shacknews celebrates Doom Eternal and the Doom franchise
Rip and tear...until it is done.
this game might be good!!!
Saw your SAD backer email, you are feeling better now I hope? It's good to see you posting stories!
Doing better, yeah. :) Writing is living for me, so good times. Thank you for your concern, and your support!
That’s a lot of TBA ... can you give us some topics at least? Can’t make all of them and want to prioritize.
much better thanks!
An unlisted dev diary vid:
Can't say I agree with them about what gamers want - for my single player games I mostly want them offline and I want logins and the like to fuck off and be extremely optional.
Invasion mode might be cool when it hits, but it isn't there at launch.
(still psyched for the game, don't get me wrong)
Though at least they do confirm you can play the campaign offline.