NPD: Nintendo Tops January Console Sales Charts; Left 4 Dead Beats Call of Duty
In the hardware sector, the Wii and Nintendo DS easily lead the field. Microsoft's Xbox 360 claimed a 3:2 margin over Sony's PlayStation 3, while the PlayStation 2 still managed another 100,000 sales.
The industry as a whole performed well despite the economic recession, boasting a 13% bump in total revenue over January 2008.
Let's get down to the numbers. The January 2009 software sales:
- Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 777,000 units
- Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 415,000 units
- Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 292,000 units
- Left 4 Dead (Valve, Xbox 360) - 243,000 units
- Call of Duty: World at War (Treyarch, Xbox 360) - 235,000 units
- Skate 2 (EA Black Box, Xbox 360) - 199,000 units
- Guitar Hero: World Tour (Neversoft, Wii) - 155,000 units
- New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, NDS) - 135,000 units
- Mario Kart DS (Nintendo, NDS) - 132,000 units
- Lord of the Rings: Conquest (Pandemic, Xbox 360) - 113,000 units
- Wii - 679,000
- Nintendo DS - 510,000
- Xbox 360 - 309,000
- PlayStation 3 - 203,000
- PSP - 172,000
- PlayStation 2 - 101,000
From The Chatty
I'm (pleasantly) really surprised by how well Left 4 Dead is doing.