Report: Final Fantasy Versus XIII quietly cancelled

Sources claim that Final Fantasy Versus XIII has finally been canceled, with Square Enix folding resources into Final Fantasy XV.

11

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced way back in 2006, and since then Square Enix has barely spoken about the game. So it's not altogether unbelievable that the game has finally been outright cancelled, closing the book on its long string of delays.

One source tells Kotaku that the game was canned within the last few weeks. Reportedly Square Enix has decided to let the game slowly fade out of memory, rather than mention its cancellation explicitly. Other sources claimed that development resources from Versus XIII had been put into Final Fantasy XV months ago, though it wasn't clear if this meant actual assets or staff.

Square Enix is hosting a Final Fantasy event focused on the FFXIII project, but none of the events from that show are focused on Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Unless we see a surprise announcement at that show, and given the reports that Square is choosing to kill the game off quietly, it seems likely that the game has been removed from the company's line-up.

Shacknews has contacted Square Enix regarding the reports, and will update as more information becomes available.

Editor-In-Chief
From The Chatty
  • reply
    July 20, 2012 7:30 AM

    Steve Watts posted a new article, Report: Final Fantasy Versus XIII quietly cancelled.

    Sources claim that Final Fantasy Versus XIII has finally been canceled, with Square Enix folding resources into Final Fantasy XV.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 7:41 AM

      Report? Don't you mean rumour?

      Even so, if this is true, I wonder how SE manages to make any money. If they end up releasing an FFXIII-3 and ditching this game, that spells the end of the franchise for me.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 8:00 AM

      I hope you mean rumor, because if it is true that will be the second thing ruin my day. The franchise is dead if for some reason they cancelled, but there have been a lot rumors flying around about this game.

      • reply
        July 20, 2012 8:25 AM

        They are probably just renaming it as FF 15. Versus XIII was a stupid name.

        • reply
          July 20, 2012 4:28 PM

          I thought there was a rumour about this a while back actually.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 8:21 AM

      If you read the story, we are reporting what Kotaku said through its several sources. If it was official, we would not have used the word 'report'. Either word indicates that we are treating it as 'unconfirmed.'

      • reply
        July 20, 2012 8:41 AM

        Thanks for clarifying. Still seems awkward that you didn't mention Kotaku itself was reporting it as a rumour, seems like an important detail.

        • reply
          July 20, 2012 9:56 AM

          It's in the our story ... "One source tell Kotaku that the game was canned within the last few weeks ..."

          • reply
            July 20, 2012 10:12 AM

            All I'm saying is it confused some people is all. Your title says it's a report which led us to believe it's fact, and then we're reading your article with this assumption in mind.

            • Ebu
              reply
              July 20, 2012 10:15 AM

              Some people get confused reading the wall menu at Wendy's. You can't save everyone.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 8:39 AM

      This had better not be true.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 9:17 AM

      I'd say I'm surprised but well I'm not. My love of the Final Fantasy series is quickly dying which is a real shame. I guess I will just have to play through some of the old classics.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 4:34 PM

      Here is a list of people who care:

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 5:01 PM

      Kind of hard to believe. The last showing of the game was a complete build and they were just doing asset building. Seems crazy they would scrap it after all this time especially when they've recently started showing off plenty of actual gameplay unless they came across some major technical flaw with the whole thing.

    • reply
      July 20, 2012 9:04 PM

      I hope its not cancelled. I was really looking forward to playing a FF game with KH controls.

      • reply
        July 21, 2012 10:26 AM

        Me too. This was the first FF that I was looking forward to since FF x. I mean, I thought XIII was okay, but I wasn't pumped for it.

    • reply
      July 21, 2012 4:51 AM

      This was bound to become a rumor, after so long without a word.
      I hope it's not true, I "liked" XIII but I had very high expectations for Versus. From the footage and shots we've seen, it has a nice dark, refreshing undertone. I don't want another weird cheese infested, convoluted FF with another awful upbeat pop song in the background of every other scene.

    • reply
      June 14, 2013 4:23 PM

      I don't get the love for this game. The entire move seems completely cynical and stinks of desperate money-grabbing.

      The game must have been in development hell, so they decided to cut their losses and rename in FFXV to make back the cash, because a main FF game is guaranteed to sell better than a spin-off.

      We haven't had a decent Final Fntasy game since 2006...

      Maybe FFXVI will be the first proper FF since XII.