This last month has been a challenging one for Diablo 4. After Update 1.1.0a, there was a lot of outrage over not only the nerfs to late game meta builds of certain classes, but also the sheer lack of communication about these changes beforehand. Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1’s patch notes are here and mark Blizzard’s active attempt to do right by its fans. It makes fixes to certain classes and buffs their late game survivability and power among other changes. Check out the full patch notes here.
Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1 patch notes
Blizzard Entertainment released the Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1 patch notes on its website on August 2, 2023. The patch is expected to go live on August 8. These notes mark some of the changes teased in a previous campfire chat presentation in which the developers promised to fix up the issues that brought outrage from the community. Sorcerers’ late-game survivability has been buffed. Meanwhile, Barbarians gained some speed on their early game with boosted Fury generation, and power for Unique items in their late game. Check out the full run of changes below:
Class Balance Updates
Hello wanderer, welcome to Patch 1.1.1!
We’ve made quite a few balance adjustments to Classes. Our goals with this patch are as follows:
- We want to improve the effectiveness of Sorcerers and Barbarians while addressing the following for each Class:
- Improve late-game survivability, mostly through Paragon Board improvements.
- Adjust some Class mechanics to move away from “Kiss-Curse” effects—this is where the player gains power but loses power somewhere else.
- Speed up the flow of combat in the early game by increasing Fury generation on Basic Skills.
- Add late-game excitement by increasing the power of Unique items.
- Strengthen builds that aren’t reaching a high power level.
- Diversify the use cases for Legendary items and other effects that are overly situational.
We are increasing monster density in Nightmare Dungeons and in Helltide.
- Bosses above Level 60 will have more health. Examples:
- Bosses at Level 60 and below remain unchanged.
- Bosses at Level 80 have 50% increased health.
- Bosses at Level 100 have 100% increased health.
- Bosses at Level 120 have 120% increased health.
- Bosses at Level 150 and above have 150% increased health.
Bosses and Events
Developer’s Note: We are making adjustments to the health values of high-level boss monsters.
- Level 35 and higher boss monsters will now have a 100% chance to drop a Legendary item.
- Treasure Goblins now have an increased Legendary item drop chance from Level 6-14 and guarantee a Legendary item drop starting at Level 15.
- Legion Events are now more rewarding and guarantee a Legendary item drop starting at level 35.
- We have made multiple improvements on how damage and other effects interact with active barriers.
- Bonus damage or bonus effects that are applied on-hit or when dealing damage will now apply that same effect through barriers.
- Ex: The Exploit Paragon Glyph will now apply Vulnerable to enemies that have an active barrier.
- Cheat death effects will now work properly when the player has an active barrier.
- This also affects PvP play.
- Varshan will now break through any Bone Wall segments he dashes through.
- The cost for refunding Skill and Paragon Points has been reduced. The reduction starts small at lower Levels and hits a maximum of 40% at Level 100.
- Ex: Level 50 - 12%, Level 60 - 18%, Level 70 - 24%, Level 80 - 30%.
- We've increased the stack limit for Elixirs from 20 to 99.
- An additional Stash Tab can now be purchased at the Stash with gold.
- We have restored the cast time for Leave Dungeon back to 3 seconds.
Developer’s Note: Leave Dungeon ability was being used as another method of easy escape from danger in dungeons, particularly for Hardcore players. However, we recognize that this is outweighed by the downside of the game feeling less responsive. We’ve heard your feedback, and are reversing this change.
- The following Nightmare Dungeon affixes have been removed:
- Resource Burn
- Empowered Elites (Cold Enchanted)
- Caged Heart of Spellbreaking
- Changed to: Upon taking Elemental Damage, gain 10-20% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
Generic Unique Items
- + All Stats affix replaced with Max Life.
- Barrier is now based on maximum Life.
- Now properly accounted by conditions checking for the player having a Barrier.
- Screen Reader support for reading class icons has been added.
- Fixed an issue where the Screen Reader wouldn't read out capitalized, accented letters, or special characters.
- Fixed an issue where progression in the Final Straw quest could be blocked during Co-op play.
- Fixed an issue where only the first player could activate Points of Interest during Co-op play.
- Fixed an issue where using a Town Portal while attempting to enter a dungeon would cause both players to get stuck during Local Co-Op play.
- Fixed an issue where follower NPCs could not function properly in scenarios where players were mounted during Local Co-Op play.
- Fixed an issue where the quest progress tracker of other players wouldn't display properly in certain situations during Local Co-Op play.
- Fixed an issue where the Season Info would not properly display when Player 2 created a new character during Local Co-Op play.
- Fixed an issue where a player engaged in conversation with an NPC would see a black screen if another player in their party teleported away.
- Fixed an issue where progression in the Seaside Decent Dungeon could be blocked when the Butcher or a Treasure Goblin spawned behind the barrier.
- Fixed an issue where the Determination malignant power wouldn't function against the Resource Burn affix for Nightmare Dungeons.
- Fixed an issue where the Resource Burn affix for Nightmare Dungeons was applying from close enemies and not just distant enemies.
- Fixed an issue where the Boss in the Den of the Blighted could be damaged through the fog wall.
- Critters, non-combative creatures,in Nightmare Dungeons with the Death Pulse affix will no longer explode on death (this explosion was never dealing damage).
- Fixed an issue where players could leave their Party after dying in a Nightmare dungeon, re-enter their party, and then re-enter the dungeon and not have their revives count towards the Dungeon's revive cap.
- Fixed an issue where Animus carriers killed before the Animus objective was triggered would not drop Animus, blocking dungeon progression.
- Fixed an issue where the Reset Dungeon button often malfunctioned.
- Fixed an issue where Keeper Xor'lim sometimes would not drop Garan's Key in the Garan Hold Nightmare Dungeon.
- Fixed an issue where Charge didn't carry all enemies hit along with the Barbarian.
- Fixed an issue where Lunging Strike could cause the player character to get stuck under the ground.
- Fixed an issue where the bonus Critical Strike chance granted by the Focused Rage malignant power could be consumed by non-combat skills.
- Fixed an issue where the Aspect of Berserk Ripping wouldn't cause targets to bleed when Berserking.
- The tooltip for the Moonrage malignant power now also communicates the power's additional Lucky Hit chance of spawning a wolf when damaging a boss.
- This tooltip now properly communicates that it grants +3 ranks to Wolves.
- Fixed an issue where Call of the Wild and Aspect of the Stampede were not properly affecting the passive portions of Companion skills and the active portion of Wolves.
- Fixed an issue that caused more Blood Orbs than intended to be active at the same time. Blood Orbs now function like Crackling Energy in that they cap at 30.
- Fixed an issue where guaranteed Overpower attacks from the Rathma's Vigor key passive were not benefiting from the Paragon Legendary Node Bloodbath.
- Fixed an issue where the automatic Corpse Explosion casts from the Sacrilegious malignant power could ignore the damage reducing effect from the power when using unenhanced Corpse Explosion.
- Fixed an issue where the Untimely Death aspect only increased Overpower damage on the Blood Lance that was cast and not other lanced targets.
- Fixed an issue where when the Decrepit Aura Malignant Power was equipped twice, the power with the lowest number of near enemies required to activate was not the one that would trigger.
- Fixed an issue where shields held by a Necromancer would cover their face in loading screens. Fixed an issue where the Necromancer’s Imperfectly Balanced passive could only have 1 point allocated to it.
- Fixed an issue where the Decrepit Aura malignant power wouldn't trigger when mounted.
- Fixed an issue where Poison Trap could be infinitely cast without spending Energy by using the Concealment skill near zone transition areas.
- Fixed an issue where the Shadow clone's taunt effect from the Trickery malignant power could Taunt other players in PvP, and the taunt was not breakable by Unstoppable effects.
- Fixed an issue where the Elemental Dominance passive didn't function correctly when using Core and Mastery skills that dealt Damage over Time.
- Ex: A meteor cast at above 50 mana that would take you under 50 mana would not get the full damage bonus.
- Fixed an issue where the Omnipower Malignant Power wouldn't properly consume additional mana, which would then not trigger other interactions with additional resource consumption.
- Ex: the damage reduction from the Mana Shield passive.
- Fixed an issue where the Omnipower malignant power was inconsistently launching the appropriate number of projectiles. In addition, the tooltip has been updated to better describe the power.
Developer’s Note: The previous tooltip was a bit misleading as it did not consume the entirety of your mana pool. It will consume as much as it can depending on the number rolled on the affix.
- Fixed an issue where the effects from the Dark Dance malignant power would reset the Align the Elements passive.
- Fixed an issue where the random location teleport effect from The Oculus could cause players to get stuck in the environment.
- Fixed an issue where the speed increase from the Spur skill while mounted was slower on Controller than Keyboard and Mouse.
- Fixed an issue where Invasion portals spawned during certain Helltide events could be pushed off screen with Fear effects.
- Fixed an issue where Paragon Rare Nodes would sometimes not provide bonuses with stat-boosting gear.
- Fixed an issue where continuously enchanting an item could result in having the same stat show repeatedly in subsequent re-rolls.
- Fixed an issue where post-death damaging effects ignored the damage reduction from stats of close or distant enemies.
- Fixed an issue where mounting your steed while moving would behave erratically when playing on console.
- Fixed an issue where Elite enemies with the Teleporter affix could teleport from off-screen and deal excessive damage.
- Fixed an issue where Tusked Charger enemies could still damage the player after dying.
- Fixed an issue where the Corpse Spawn enemy wouldn't attack the player.
- Fixed an issue where the Mahjoob monster was more difficult to defeat than intended.
- Fixed an issue where progression would be blocked during the Reject the Mother quest if the player left the game and came back.
- Fixed an issue where Quest objectives could be missed while mounted during the Desperate Remedies quest.
- Fixed an issue where the Fury Against Fate quest could have its progression blocked.
- Fixed an issue where the Quest tracker pin would not be visible outside of the zone where the Ruins of Faith quest was located.
- Fixed an issue where the Gore-soaked barricade could become indestructible after exiting and returning to the Cellar during the Fury Against Fate quest.
- Fixed an issue where players could repeatedly fight Varshan during the final Seasonal quest by resetting the Dungeon where he spawns.
Season of the Malignant
- Fixed an issue where the Prudent Heart malignant power would not trigger while mounted.
- Fixed an issue where the Dark Dance malignant power could behave as if the player was damaging themselves, which could apply other effects that occur when the player deals damage.
- Fixed an issue where the Invoker of Varshan recipe could be lost.
- For any player that lost the recipe, it can be acquired from any malignant kill after the seasonal quest line has been completed.
- Fixed an issue where the Barber malignant power would absorb damage from all other players and not just the player with it equipped.
- Fixed an issue where the Urn of Bargaining season blessing was increasing the enchant costs for items.
- Fixed an issue where the Dark Dance Malignant Heart could kill the player. It will no longer consume life if the player does not have enough life to pay.
Shop and Battle Pass
- Fixed an issue where the Arise emote’s visual effects wouldn’t appear when playing on low graphical settings.
- Fixed an issue where the Dagger Tap emote for Rogue from the Battle Pass would lock player movement for its duration.
- Fixed an issue where the female Necromancer animation for the Cage Puppetry emote had visual errors in the preview.
- Fixed an issue where the Phantasm Walker cosmetic set had multiple visual errors, such as clipping.
- Fixed an issue where text was missing when speaking to Kres during the Tangled Memories quest.
- Fixed an issue where the subtitles during the Light Extinguished quest were out of sync with the voiced dialogue.
- Fixed an issue where the tooltip would show the wrong name for Wrathful Malignant Hearts when equipping two rings with the heart socketed in it.
- Fixed multiple issues with text description inconsistency in Shop Bundles.
- Fixed an issue where the Scroll of Amnesia tooltip referenced stat points instead of Paragon Points.
- Fixed an issue where the tooltips for the Social and Miscellaneous tabs in the action wheel were mismatched.
- Fixed an issue where the tooltip for Battlepass emotes would erroneously describe the Emotes as Shop emotes instead of Seasonal emotes.
- Fixed an issue where the Coldiron Aegis displayed as supporting all classes, even though not all classes can use shields.
- Fixed an issue where the timer for Whispers could display incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where the Stele of Velkhova and Hero Overwhelmed headstones were missing names in the Wardrobe.
- Fixed multiple Localization issues.
- Fixed an issue where the button highlights for controller would disappear after dismissing the Buy More Platinum prompt while navigating the Battle Pass menu.
- Fixed an issue where The Hero list could not be re-ordered.
- Fixed an issue where the player’s displayed death marker on the minimap was inaccurate compared to where their corpse was.
- Fixed an issue where the quest markers would display incorrectly if the player left the area and returned during the Answers in the Ashes quest.
- Fixed an issue where Mount Armor and Trophies wouldn't update when selecting other Mounts in the Stable Master Vendor menu.
- Fixed an issue where controller button highlights could disappear in the Stablemaster’s menu.
- Fixed an issue where the Battle Pass interface would not properly navigate to the appropriate tier after tier skipping.
- Fixed an issue where the Die! Emote from the battle pass displayed its name incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where the Reins of the Bloody steed would reappear in the Stablemaster’s menu after it was already acquired.
- Fixed an issue where opening multiple Clan Profile windows would cause a crash.
- Fixed an issue where a certain Necromancer hairstyle would intersect the character's neck in cutscenes.
- Fixed an issue where Audio from Cormond could be heard even if the player was far away from him during the Enter the Forest Clearing quest step.
- Fixed an issue where the weather effect and map color change to denote Helltide would persist after Helltide ended.
- Fixed an issue where skipping the initial cutscene after creating a new character could cause a crash.
- Fixed an issue where the Bloody Liquid Steed was not always rewarded after defeating Echo of Lilith.
- Various other visual, stability, and performance improvements for all platforms.
- Bonus damage or bonus effects that are applied on-hit or when dealing damage will now apply that same effect through barriers.
That covers the Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1 patch notes. The patch will go live next week, so read up and be prepared for the changes coming. You can also check out our guides and other content for Diablo 4 on the game’s topic.
TJ Denzer posted a new article, Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1 patch notes takes aim at complaints of 1.1.0a
We have restored the cast time for Leave Dungeon back to 3 seconds.
I’m glad it’s back to this, the animation never sync up with the longer cast time and your character would repeat the old animation over and over.
Overall, Diablo 4 Update 1.1.1 is a significant patch that adds a number of new features and improvements to the game. The new Legendary Items are a welcome addition, and the balance changes should make the game more challenging and rewarding. https://www.diablo4item.com