Super Meat Boy was an indie smash hit back in 2010, combining intense platforming and clever level design to create a game that wowed players. The success of the game was instrumental in kicking off the boom in popularity and financial success for the modern independently-produced video game. After being ported to nearly every platform under the sen, Super Meat Boy will soon be making an appearance in an all-new game, dubbed Super Meat Boy Forever.
Series creator Tommy Refenes is no stranger to Shacknews, having spoken with us countless times over the last decade. With both our traveling team and Refenes on-hand at PAX West 2019, we figured it would be a perfect time to sit down one again and chat about Meat Boy and just about everything else under the sun.
Meat Boy and Bandage girl must jump into action to rescue their child Nugget from the clutches of the evil Dr. Fetus. The stakes for Super Meat Boy Forever could not be higher. According to the game’s official website, players can expect loads of new content for this meaty sequel, including:
- 7200 individually handcrafted levels combine dynamically to give you a new challenge every single time you play. Seven thousand two hundred levels. They said we couldn’t do it, but we did. Who’s they? Don’t ask. They don’t like it when you ask.
- It’s hard, but fair. Nothing in life worth having comes easy. Just ask Dark Soulman.
- Meat Boy and Bandage Girl can fight back. It’s time to unleash the raw fury of parenthood on their foes just like Liam Neeson in that documentary about his family vacation in Paris.
- Bigger boss battles than before. Your mind will be blown. Your socks will be blown off. Team Meat is not liable for any of this.
- Brand new art with stunning detail and resolution. There are a lot of pixels in here. Grab the biggest display you have and watch those dots change color rapidly with gumption. Don’t sit too close though. (If your parents aren’t home you can sit as close as you want we won’t tell, but Team Meat is still not liable for any of this.)
- A soundtrack composed by Ridiculon so intense that the state of Wyoming has issued a ban on all audio devices capable of playing it out of fear that just a single note will cause the dormant super volcano beneath Yellowstone to erupt ushering in a new age of darkness.
- Frame by frame artisan crafted in game animations, and animated cutscenes that will make you experience procedurally generated emotions.
- A story so rich and moving that it makes Citizen Kane look like an unboxing video for a dehumidifier.
For more coverage of gaming and technology, check out the Shacknews and GamerhubTV YouTube channels. There you'll find exclusive interviews, demos, and event coverage. You'll also find exclusive walkthroughs, gameplay video, and more. Subscribe to both channels and stay tuned to Shacknews for gaming and tech updates.
Chris Jarrard posted a new article, Super Meat Boy Forever interview: Tommy Refenes forever
Hilarious interview that touches on pretty much everything.