It was largely assumed that Fortnite would return with a Marvel tie-in for the second consecutive year. But how could Epic's all-consuming battle royale game top last year's event that brought in Thanos himself to snap his fingers and destroy players by the hundreds? The answer is to call in the Avengers, of course. On Thursday, Fortnite officially kicked off the Fortnite: Endgame event to tie in to this weekend's Avengers: Endgame theatrical release.
Fortnite significantly ups the stakes to this latest Marvel tie-in by ushering in a limited time game mode, appropriately called "Endgame." Here, players must contend with Thanos and his Chitauri army, all of who are searching for the six Infinity Stones. What exactly does this mode entail? Let's take a look, courtesy of the Fortnite website:
- Endgame features a team of heroes fighting to stop Thanos and his Chitauri from claiming all six Infinity Stones.
- Both teams respawn when eliminated until the other side completes their objective.
- On one side is the Hero team. Heroes respawn when eliminated until the enemy team has found all six Infinity Stones.
- Heroes start with a treasure map that leads directly to a Mythic Avengers item.
- Other Avengers items can be found in Chests throughout the map.
- The goal for the Hero team is to destroy the Chitauri army and defeat Thanos.
- Team Thanos is comprised of Chitauri Invaders and Thanos himself.
- Chitauri Invaders start with a powerful laser rifle, an anti-structure grenade attack, and a jetpack that lets them briefly leap high into the air.
- The first Chitauri to recover an Infinity stone will be transformed into Thanos.
- Thanos has a powerful punch, a destructive beam attack, and the ability to jump high into the air and then smash anything in his way when he comes back down.
- Each time an Infinity Stone is claimed, Thanos' abilities grow more powerful and the Chitauri gain health.
- Reality Stone (Red) = Heath & Shields doubled (1000->2000)
- Soul Stone (Orange) = Siphon activated (grants Thanos shields only)
- Mind Stone (Yellow) = Jump height doubled
- Space Stone (Blue) = Ground Pound AOE size tripled, damage x6
- Time Stone (Green) = Big knockback added to each hit, damage x3
- Power Stone (Purple) = Laser damage x6
- If Thanos is eliminated from the match, another Chitauri will become him after a short wait (unless Thanos is the last one standing).
- If Thanos & the Chitauri find all six Infinity Stones, Heroes will no longer be able to respawn.
- The goal for Thanos and his army is to find the stones and then eliminate the remaining heroes.
The Endgame mode will only be available for a limited time. But that's not all that's coming in this massive update. Fortnite's Creative mode is adding some new game settings, allowing players to add rounds, as well as a new Pirate Cove theme.
This all comes with the usual slew of bug fixes and weapon adjustments. See the Fortnite website for more information. And be sure to keep visiting Shacknews for the latest Fortnite news.