The Elder Scrolls Online Returns to Morrowind in Upcoming Expansion
Return to Vvardenfell in Bethesda's new content for The Elder Scrolls Online
The Elder Scrolls Online players already technically have access to the Province of Morrowind in the form of Stonefalls, the Deshaan Plains, and Bal Foyen, but the latest expansion to ESO will bring the mainland of Vvardenfell. The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind will be the largest ESO content update Bethesda has released yet, and adds the same amount of area as included in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind's base game.
The new expansion to ESO takes place 700 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, so you'll get to see Vvardenfell in its heyday. Red Mountain hasn't erupted and thrown the province into turmoil, and Vivec City is still in its infancy. All the sights are waiting to be seen, from the mushroom towers of the Telvanni wizards to the docks of Seyda Neen.
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind also brings the first new class since the premiere of ESO. The Warden is a druid-like warrior who has the ability to use nature-based magic to fight their foes. Additionally, the Warden gets a powerful companion in the form of the War Bear, a bear that rips through the Warden's enemies with massive claws.
A new Player-vs-Player mode arrives with Vvardenfell as well. The Battlegrounds PvP mode will pit teams of 4v4v4 against each other in arena-style combat. These battles will take place in the Ashlands and are sure to be intense.
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind expansion is priced as follows:
- Standard Edition - ($59.99): The Standard Edition includes The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind and the base game, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
- Upgrade Edition - ($39.99): If you already own a copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, you can grab the Upgrade Edition to add Morrowind to your collection.
- Digital Collector's Edition - ($79.99): The Digital Collector's Edition gives you both The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited and Morrowind as well as:
- An Armored War Horse clad with Dwarven Plate.
- A Dwarven Spider Pet
- A Morag Tong Converter that will allow you to customize your gear in the style of the Morag Tong.
- Exclusive Character Emotes
- All the content in the pre-order Discovery Pack bonus.
- Digital Collector's Upgrade - ($59.99): This package features all the items available in the Digital Collector's Edition except for a copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
- Collector's Edition - ($99.99): The physical Collector's Edition includes everything in the Digital Collector's Edition, plus:
- A 12" Dwarven Colossus Statue.
- A large-format, full-color book chronicaling Morag Tong Assassin Naryu's journey through Tamriel.
- A full map of Morrowind.
- A steelbook case featuring the marks of the Tribunal and Vivec.
Additionally, those that pre-order The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind get the Discovery Pack which is filled with even more goodies like:
- An exclusive Warden Costume that lets all classes match the Warden's garb seen in the announcement trailer.
- A Dwarven War Dog pet.
- Treasure maps that point you in the direction of some of Vvardenfell's greatest rewards.
- A Dwarven Crown Crate that gives you a chance to get Dwarven-themed pets, costumes, and mounts.
- Experience Scrolls that allow you to gain 50% more experience for two hours.
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind will release worldwide on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on June 6, 2017. You can pre-order it now on your platform of choice.
-Shack Staff posted a new article, The Elder Scrolls Online Returns to Morrowind in Upcoming Expansion
Yeah there's still a standalone client - that's what they shipped on disc originally and the code they gave away at QC2016 was for the standalone client also.
And I don't know for sure but I think the Steam "version" just launches the standalone client (well, as standalone as it can be but still requiring Steam) and that handles all the patching, updates, etc.
So the Steam numbers are likely only a subset of who all is playing.