Update 2: As of 9:15PM PDT, NetherRealm is still working on the patch fix. A statement was issued, indicating the new patch should be ready tomorrow morning.
Update: This latest patch hasn't gone so well for NetherRealm. Reports are coming in that save data is being wiped, thus the 5/5 patch is being removed until further notice. Shacknews will stay on top of this story.
Original story: Mortal Kombat X had a bit of a rocky start on PC, with a number of online and stability issues plaguing this version since its launch. In addition to today's update that introduces the first of the Kombat Pack DLC characters and skins, NetherRealm is also issuing a patch for Mortal Kombat X's PC version that looks to address some of these issues.
The notable changes to the 5/5 patch include some tweaks to the game's online, reinforcing stability and fixing a number of crashes. This includes crashes involving online players quitting out and loading cinematics. The full list of changes can be found below (via the game's Steam Announcements page):
- Added the free Klassic Sub-Zero costume.
- Display drivers should no longer crash during online play.
- A crash will no longer occur after a full rotation of players in the lobby during Round Robin matches.
- Fixed a crash that some users experienced during the first QTE in the story.
- Game no longer crashes when players attempt to join a game through Steam or in a room.
- Fixed startup crash on high end systems (those with > 8 cores).
- Fixed a crash that would occur during recorded match playback.
- Save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss.
- Fix to prevent save game data from being corrupted while closing the game.
- Walk away animations now appear at the end of the character selection process.
- The levers in Shao Khan's Tomb will now activate.
- Shinnok's Flick Trick Fatality no longer experiences a significant framerate drop.
- Functionality is no longer lost while watching a match replay.
- Pre-game lobbies will populate 10 players into Faction Battle matches.
- Kombat Kards will now display correct Icons, Backgrounds, and Borders in a KOTH match.
- Fatality inputs no longer change into QTE inputs during in Online Tower Battles.
- Game no longer desynchronizes when a player selects a character that their opponent has not unlocked.
- D'Vorah's cape no longer moves when she's killed.
- Game no longer freezes when opponent in online closes the game.
- Title remains responsive while story cinematics are loading.
- Fixed leaderboards and kombat kards not updating past the top players.
- After entering Replays with the controller the Player can use the keyboard when watching a replay from an online match.
- Loading screens now display before progress bar fills up.
- Diagonal arrows are shown instead of keys when Alternate Control is enabled.
- Sometimes saving a Custom1 preset displayed as being saved for Custom1-4 in the character select and pause menu controls screens.
- The UI arrows will now switch sides on a tagged move when the character switched position with his opponent.
- Chat room names will now display properly (instead of SteamIDs.)
- Fixed input callouts when switching between keyboard and USB controller after entering a KOTH match.
- Additional graphical fidelity options.
- General Matchmaking improvements.
- Performance improvements
- Improved online stability
- Multiplayer invite improvements
- Gameplay fixes and balancing
- Various Kombat Kard fixes
- WB Play fixes
- General bug fixes
Of course, today's update also opens the door for Jason Voorhees to make his Mortal Kombat debut. Yesterday, NetherRealm played around with his three variations during its weekly Kombat Kast stream. The whole thing has been embedded below for your convenience.
Ozzie Mejia posted a new article, Mortal Kombat X PC patch addresses online stability and crashes
Save game data loss, oops!
Call me crazy, but that sounds like kind of a big oops.
It's cool, you can just buy back your save for 10k crypt points
This is why you shouldn't out source ports to a company with a shit record.
Wow. That's pretty bad.
What a terrible release lol. Not as bad as Sim City, but still!
Hopefully the console versions haven't had these issues.
I am on PS4 and I have not had these issues.
That's good at least.
My prediction is that they blame bad sales on piracy and possible 'a few bugs on release'.