As technology evolves, so do our fears. Virtual Virtual Reality is a VR game from Tender Claws that explores immersive technology and the collective sci-fi fever dreams of humankind.
As you can see in the Virtual Virtual Reality trailer above, things start off pretty cheery. It doesn't take long for things to get very dark, though. This is the VR game's description, taken from the official Virtual Virtual Reality website:
In the near future, most jobs have been automated. What is the purpose of humanity? Activitude, the Virtual Labor System, is here to help. Your artisanal human companionship is still highly sought by our A.I. clients. Strap on your headset. Find your calling.
Pssst. . . Sure, you could function like a therapy dog to an A.I. in Bismarck and watch your work ratings climb, but don’t you yearn for something more: adventure, conflict, purpose? Escape backstage into Activitude’s system by putting on an endless series of VR headsets in VR. Outrun Chaz, your manager, as he attempts to boot you out PERMANENTLY. Along the way, uncover the story of Activitude’s evolution from VR start-up to the “human purpose aggregator” it is today.
This intriguing sci-fi experience was created by four full-time directors/artists/developers alongside four part-time developers. It took six months. The Tender Claws team is co-founded by Samantha Gorman, who worked in a VR research lab from 2002 - 2010. In Virtual Virtual Reality's three-hour experience, here are a few things players can expect:
- 50+ explorable virtual virtual realities
- 3+ hours of unique gameplay
- Take off and put on virtual headsets to explore deeper
- Built for Daydream from the ground-up
- Complete absurd “labor” minigames for A.I. characters in bemusing forms. (ex: slather toast on a giant stick of butter as it berates your human efficiency.)
- Suction tool: destroy/build worlds by vacuuming up or spitting out polygons
- Exploratory, narrative, dialog based, logic puzzles
- An artichoke screams at you
Virtual Virtual Realitiyis available now on HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Gear VR, and Google Daydream. On mobile platforms, the game is available for $9.99. On PC, you can grab a ticket into this surreal world for $14.99. Stay tuned to Shacknews for additional updates.