Fortnite players know that part of Epic Games' strategy involves giving their hit battle royale title a constant deluge of updates. Season 5 brought with it several new changes, including a replacement for the old SMG: a new submachine gun designed to present a more appropriate balance of power and maneuverability. However, it seems even the new SMG was far too strong, and Epic Games has released a new hotfix to balance the new SMG's power, fire rate, range, and drop rate.
Here are the full details posted by an Epic Games representative to the Fortnite subreddit:
"We've heard your feedback regarding SMGs and that they’re stronger than we would like at the moment. We agree and have just pushed a hotfix live adjusting these values - bringing them more in line with where we want them."
• SMG and Compact SMG accuracy bonus reduced from 35% to 15%.
• SMG damage reduced from 19/20/21 to 17/18/19.
• Compact SMG damage reduced from 23/24 to 21/22.
• SMG fire rate reduced from 13 to 12.
• Compact SMG fire rate reduced from 11 to 10.
• SMG, Compact SMG, and Silenced SMG damage falloff.
• Range reduced from 2400/3500/5000 to 2000/3000/4000.
• Percentage reduced from 100/80/65% to 100/70/40%.
• Rare SMG and Compact SMGs drop rates slightly reduced.
The recent nerf to the newly added SMG is just one of the many changes Epic Games has introduced into the Fortnite formula: the new Season 5 update brought along with it several new activities, dancing in front of birthday cakes can unlock new rewards, and the Battle Pass week 3 challenge will see players taking out clay pigeons spread all across the map. For the latest coverage of Epic Games' hit battle royale title, be sure to check out Shacknews' Fortnite home page.