The time has come once more for Sea of Thieves to undergo server maintenance, dragging many galleons and sloops down into the watery depths. The good news is that on the other side awaits a new version of the game, and with it, patch notes 1.0.7!
Included in this patch are private crews, allowing players to choose whether or not random players can join their ship. This should solve a lot of problems where a friend drops out and it’s a race to get them back in before some scallywag jumps in their now-open spot.
Another interesting inclusion is the ability to pass items between players. This should save time when out on a voyage. Now instead of rummaging around for a banana or returning to the ship, a friend can hand one over. The same applies to cannonballs and wooden planks. It's a feature we didn't know we needed!
- Xbox One: 800MB
- Xbox One X: 800MB
- Windows 10: 800MB
PC players, if you’re struggling to get the patch installed, check out our guide on how to update Sea of Thieves on PC.
- This Seat is Taken - Players now have two crew type options available to them, Open and Closed Crews.
Open Crews: This option works in the same way you’re used to. For the Galleon, an open crew will match four players together while also replacing players who leave during a game. For the Sloop, two players will be matched together, with a leaving player being replaced when possible.
Closed Crews: This option allows a single player to begin a game on either a Galleon or a Sloop, allowing friends to join in when they’re available. You can now play with any configuration of players up to the limit on each ship, which is 4 players on the Galleon and 2 players on the Sloop, as well as preventing non-friends from being able to join you. This option replaces the 3 player Galleon and Solo Sloop options in the Main Menu.
Coming Soon: Additional functionality coming soon for Open and Closed Crews includes the ability to dynamically switch between Open and Closed while in the game, in addition to being able to make a session fully private by preventing friends joining.
- Here, take this! - Imagine the scene, skeletons surround your crew, your crew-mate has been bitten by a snake, they have no bananas and there are no resource barrels in sight! Now you can help them CRONCH their way to full health by handing them a banana! This also works with wooden planks and cannon balls. You helpful pirate you!
- Who Goes There? - When swimming underwater, gamertag and Player Titles are no longer visible. Now you can #BeMoresneakyPirate!
- Now in Stock! - Imperial Sovereign Blunderbuss, Pistol, Sails, Hull and Liveries are now available to purchase in the Ancient Isles. They were incorrectly listed as available in Patch 1.0.6.
- Flintlock Pistol - New sound effects for close fire and reloading the Flintlock Pistol.
- Icons - Within the clothing chest, the icons to unequip all or select a random outfit have been updated.
- Health Bar UI - Deciding whether to eat that banana or keep swiping your sword? You'll notice some changes to the health bar UI, fancy!
Progression and Economy Updates:
- Price Changes - Greedy pirates had overpriced the Castaway Bilge Rat weapons and ship liveries. These have now been reduced. Anyone who purchased items within this set pre-price adjustment will have the difference reimbursed very soon.
- Strike Gold - As Pirates rank up with the Gold Hoarders and Order of Souls trading companies, the chances of finding more valuable rewards has been increased. Say good-bye to those Castaway Chests at higher ranks!
- Players should no longer experience details of their pirate (such as hair colour / scars) looking different from their initial selection.
- Players should no longer experience delayed achievements and commendations from in-game actions. During last week's maintenance window we made improvements to our servers and services which should have resolved both of the above issues. If you are still encountering the above two issues, please log a Support Ticket so we can investigate this further.
- Resolved issue that sometimes showed riddle landmarks as glowing rocks.
- Resolved an issue on Faithful Isle which could have prevented players from completing riddle voyages.
- Bounty Captains and Crew will no longer have their names mixed up.
- Gunpowder Barrels will no longer cause two explosions if detonated when being held by a player.
- Loaded cannons will no longer intermittently appear unloaded when returning to the ship.
- Starting Merchant voyages back to back will no longer prevent the reminder to collect crates from appearing.
- When playing on wide monitors the settings menu UI will no longer have clipping issues.
- Being on an Order of Souls voyage no longer causes fewer ambient skeletons to spawn.
- Cannonball, wooden plank and banana crates no longer always spawn empty.
- Restarting the game will no longer reset the frame rate lock option.
- Fixed a collision issue on Thieves' Haven.
- Equipping the Seadog Hull on a sloop will now match the preview image.
- Muting all other crews will no longer mute your own crew.
- The floor texture of the crows nest on the galleon now appears correctly.
- Resolved a shader issue caused the balcony outside the Captain's Cabin on the galleon to appear incorrectly.
- There is no longer a gap between a characters head and the Imperial Sovereign Hat when it is equipped.
- Restored missing 90 fps frame rate lock option.
- Frame rates will now be more consistent during ship battles, sword fights and Kraken encounters due to visual effect optimisations.
- Latency has been improved in multiple-ship and skeleton heavy scenarios due to server optimisations.
- Frame rates can now be locked to 100 FPS.
- [PC Only] Fixed GPU driver hangs/crashes on certain graphics devices.
- [PC Only] Resolved bug which triggered Copperbeard error when alt-tabbing.
- Multiple server crash fixes. Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
There are a lot of great changes here, as well as a host of bug fixes and performance tweaks for console and PC players alike. While there is no mention of the Hungering Deep, it’s good to see some more cosmetic items being included in the game. You can also read the Sea of Thieves patch notes for 1.0.7 over on the Sea of Thieves site.
Make sure to sail by the Shacknews Sea of Thieves Guide and Walkthrough for more information and voyage tips!
Sam Chandler posted a new article, Sea of Thieves Patch Notes 1.0.7 Include Private Crews and Economy Changes
Private crews, finally.
Seems like some decent changes.
Is there a Discord group for finding crews? Tommy and I still fire this up for a couple hours every week. We never try doing anything too outlandish because it’s typically just the two of us.
According to the Sea of Thieves subreddit, there is a Discord group!
I don't want to play with those dopes. I want to play with these dopes.
That's a fair point! I thought you were asking in general. I think a group of Shackers on the high seas would be great
The game fun yet?? I found it boring as fuck.. Kinda felt like a water simulation tech demo with a game slapped on top.
I mean, it's always been fun ;)
That's great, but what they really need is a content patch to add a metric ton of game play.
The next patch is supposed to include some additional content iirc.
Man, this game has been constantly hard-locking within a minute of playing on a 1080ti.
Despite these being features that should have been included from launch I am happy that they are now present. I haven't played for a couple weeks but am looking forward to jumping back in and sailing around.
The new patch was recalled slightly due to handing off stuff being broken.