Stardew Valley originally hit the scene in early 2016 and went on to become one of the biggest success stories in all of gaming that year. Its mix of tending farm, quirky characters, and retro aesthetic proved to be a winning combination. The game eventually spread to consoles following its big year on Steam. At the end of last summer, the multiplayer update was officially announced by developer ConcernedApe with a projected release date of early 2018. As luck would have it, early 2018 happened and we are in the middle of it. Naturally, the new Stardew Valley multiplayer update beta is now available to download on Steam.
As this update is not yet complete (hence the inclusion of the term “beta”), users will need to opt into a special beta client to get their hands on the Stardew Valley multiplayer update. The steps to gain access to the beta are as follows:
- Log into your Steam account
- In your Games Library, right click on Stardew Valley
- Select Properties → Betas (see: https://imgur.com/a/H1gH4)
- Enter the Beta access code “jumpingjunimos” and press Check Code
- After this, select the beta branch option on the Beta selection drop down list above
- If you have any problems with gaining access or experience any bugs, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ConcernedApe recommends that all users backup their savegame files and remove mods prior to starting the multiplayer beta. You can do so by following these steps:
- Your save files are located in %APPDATA%\StardewValley\Saves on Windows, or ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves on Mac and Linux.
- Remove any mods you’ve installed that haven’t been updated for v1.3. You can see a list of compatible mods here.
The multiplayer version of Stardew Valley supports up to 4 concurrent farmers, each needing their own cabin in the game world. For the full details on how to host games and get your multiplayer farming up and running, refer to the full update notes from Concerned Ape. You’ll be hoeing and marrying your fellow farmers in no time!
Chris Jarrard posted a new article, Stardew Valley Multiplayer Beta is Available Now on Steam