Super Mega Baseball 2 Gets Release Date, Gameplay Trailer
Metalhead Software’s arcade baseball sequel looks to be an improvement in every area. It looks so good, we have to wonder if it’s juicing.
Metalhead Software, located in Vancouver, was responsible for one of the biggest surprises in gaming over the last few years. In late 2014, they released a simple, arcade-style baseball game, Super Mega Baseball, that ended up winning the hearts of all who gave it a fair shake. Originally a PS3/PS4 crossplay exclusive, the game was updated and ported to both the Xbox One and PC, where it became the defacto best baseball game for either platform (due to PS4-exclusive MLB: The Show being the only big-budget baseball game left in town). The folks at Metalhead decided to expand on the cult hit and set off on making a sequel. Super Mega Baseball 2 looks to improve the experience from the first game by every measure and it will be sliding onto digital shelves on May 1.
While the list of improvements and enhancements from the first game is exhaustive, the most important are listed below:
- Overhauled presentation including 8 stadiums built from the ground up, more realistically scaled character models, and new, more athletic player animations
- Comprehensive customization of leagues, team logos and uniforms, and player gear
- New competitive and co-operative online modes, utilizing dedicated servers
- Cross-platform play between PC and Xbox One, and between PC and PS4
- Refined baseball simulation with visceral physics and realistic play outcomes
- Enhanced image quality on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro
Along with today's news about the official release date, Metalhead also prepared a detailed gameplay overview trailer that dives into the details on how the gameplay has evolved from the original game. Fans who dumped hours into the first Super Mega Baseball will be pleased to see that the development team took great care in working through that game’s quirks and shortcomings and appear to have all the gameplay bases covered.
When Super Mega Baseball 2 launches on May 1, you’ll be able to grab it on PC (via Steam), Xbox One, and PS4.
Chris Jarrard posted a new article, Super Mega Baseball 2 Gets Release Date, Gameplay Trailer