Sea of Thieves has finally landed on Xbox One and PC, allowing pirates everywhere an opportunity to live out their own pirate lives. Sadly, many players are encountering a few errors that are preventing them from getting online and setting sail, one of which is the particularly incredibly frustrating Kiwibeard error which tells you simply: Sea of Thieves is temporarily unavailable.
We're taking the #SeaOfThieves servers offline at 15:45 BST for emergency maintenance, as we've identified some issues that need immediate attention. We're investigating as a matter of urgency, and will update you ASAP!— Sea of Thieves (@SeaOfThieves) September 6, 2018
What is the Sea of Thieves Kiwibeard Error?
Sea of Thieves Kiwibeard Error can be caused by any of the following problems, all of which render the game temporarily unavailable:
- The Game's Servers Are Down for Maintenance/Closed – Rare has taken the servers offline to perform server maintenance, or Rare and Xbox are not running a play session when you tried to log in, so you cannot play Sea of Thieves right now.
- You have more than one Gamertag signed in to your console. Please sign all other accounts out of the console, and only launch the game with the one Xbox Live account that has been invited to play.
- You have not been invited to play the Sea of Thieves Scale Test. If you’re registered as an Insider, you may be invited in the future – keep an eye on your registered email address. (NOTE: This last one is no longer an option as the Alpha, Beta, and Scale Test have finished)
How to Fix the Kiwibeard Error in Sea of Thieves
If you're encountering the Kiwibeard error, it's most likely because the servers are currently down for maintenance, meaning the game is temporarily unavailable. Rare will be taking Sea of Thieves offline fairly regularly in order to apply updates, fix problems, address issues, and just generally improve the game. Check out the most recent patch notes for Sea of Thieves while you fix the Kiwibeard error.
However, if you are experiencing the Kiwibeard error outside of the maintenance window, the best solution, like the Bronzebeard error, is to keep trying to connect to the game. If the servers are down, keep an eye out of the official Sea of Thieves Twitter account for updates about the downtime.
While the game is down, why not check out our article on everything coming to Sea of Thieves in Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores?
Other Sea of Thieves Errors
Experiencing errors beyond the Kiwibeard error? Don't worry, we've got information covering loads of different Sea of Thieves beard-related errors:
• BronzeBeard Error
• CinnamonBeard Error
• AlmondBeard Error
• FishBeard Error
• GreyBeard Error
• LavenderBeard Error
• TrimmedBeard Error
• Stuck Checking the Pirate Roster Error
• Stuck Searching the Seas Error
Sea of Thieves is currently absorbing all of our time, we can't get enough of Rare's latest title. Keep it locked on Shacknews for all the latest Sea of Thieves news. Can your PC even run Sea of Thieves? Check out our guide to the minimum specs for the game. And don't forget to swing by our Sea of Thieves guide hub for more information on server performance and tips for playing!