Not to be deterred by connection issues, perpetually online brawler Absolver has moved over 250,000 copies since launching on August 29. Sloclap and Devolver Digital are celebrating this milestone with a patch that fixes a plethora of issues and offering some new unique masks for players to find in-game.
Published by Devolver Digital, indie dev Sloclap's martial arts game has had a somewhat frustrating start. The game launched to a good bit of fanfare with complex yet incredibly interesting gameplay that was great when it worked but was hindered by connectivity issues. With a combat system that demands meticulous management of moves and incredible timing to be successful, having lag and drops can be incredibly frustrating. Now, though, players should be excited to return to the world of Andal.
The full patch notes can be found down below the new trailer, but the highlights include addressing a power loss issue, optimization, combat trials disconnection issue, and general stability.
As far as the masks that Sloclap is hanging out on a string to bring players back to the fray, the team has hidden six of them in the Guidance Bridge hub area and they're all based on Devolver Digital properties. The masks are on display in the trailer below and are inspired by games like The Talos Principle, Shadow Warrior 2, and the upcoming RUINER.
- Fixed power loss issue (powers will be given back to the player)
- Fixed bugs in schools menu
- Fixed item loss issue in inventory menu
- Fixed crash in cutscene
- Improved Combat Trials disconnection issue
- General Stability improvement
- Special abilities
- Absorb successful:
- increase ghost damage refill (x2)
- decrease stamina bonus (50 -> 20)
- add +20 protection during 5s
- Avoid successful:
- decrease stamina bonus (40 -> 35)
- increase stamina cost 5 -> 10
- Character avoided:
- Decrease stamina refill (x0.3) during 1.5s
- Stamina malus (-10)
- Parry successful:
- decrease stamina bonus (30 -> 15)
- Stagger style:
- decrease range of side special attacks (190 -> 145)
- Decrease range and impact on guard of fastest attacks
- Increase impact on guard of Breaking attacks
- health refill on kill now take in account the health ratio of both players at the beginning of the round
- Increase weight/mobility impact on stamina
- Increase dodge iFrames (2 -> 4)
- Keep shards after death
- cost 2 shards
- decrease range
- add stamina bonus + boost stamina refill during 5s
- Decreased maximum number of enemy AIs spawned at the same time
- Improved some enemy AIs detection range
- Fixed navigation issue in Oratian Quarter zone
- Fixed out of bounds issue in Adalian Columbary arena
- Modification on the cross arena
- "Victory" & "Defeat" localised
- Corrected misspelled english texts
- Fixed cut off localised texts
- School creation: added notification confirmation when school is successfully created
- Social menu: "offline"/"online" information replaced by a colored dot
- NEW: Added six unique masks in the Guidance Bridge, inspired by Devolver Digital games
- Collision and navigation bugfixes
- Performance Optimization
- NEW: Added two new tracks to 1v1 Game Mode
- NEW: added variety on foleys
- Sound corruption issue improvement
Charles Singletary posted a new article, Absolver Is Devolver Digital's Biggest Launch Ever
Too bad the game is basically dead until they get their shit together.
18,000 concurrent players down to like 300 in 3 weeks. The actual combat is fun! But the netcode or servers are so unstable the game is near unplayable online for me.
I guess there is no single player in this game? For some reason I thought it had an SP story mode.
The offline mode is essentially a large map with 4 areas full of ai and mini bosses that you grind on to learn their unique attacks to add to your movelist.
Beating this area only takes like 4 hours.
That's quite the drop
That's a real shame :(
I was totally thinking of picking it up now that I've got more free time.
I think next week? is when they plan to have a patch that addresses the stability. Wait until they fix it.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eye on stuff then to see how that shakes out.
Another thing to keep in mind for the competitive online stuff, last I heard, they have no MMR style ranking, so new players are matched against pros. Not only did people not get matched up against similarly skilled players, they also had no idea if their connection to the player would be stable enough to fight.
As you can imagine, the only people who are still playing are probably the beta players who already know how to fight.
Connectivity seems better lately, and especially after the patch yesterday.
Singletary is an acronym for Lé Sting Ray
Singletary is an acronym for Silly Indian Never Gets Laid Even The Absolutely Really Young.
Lé Sting Ray is an anagram of Singletary.
What is going on here? Lol.