I didn't even see the old trailer which featured this cocktail in the footage as I tend to not watch or read too much when I know I'm going to play a game. So of course as soon as he ordered it I knew I would have a make one. I decided to use the following great recipe from How To Drink since I had the ingredients, you can watch him make it here. One day I'll make my version which would be a smokey mezcal old fashioned with a jalapeno garnish and a splash of Mexican beer, I just didn't have the ingredients.
Here's his recipe, I used a 10% beer I had in the fridge and it worked fine although the sour beer he used, Agave Maria ale, is aged in tequila barrels and is much more appropriate to use in this cocktail.
- Prepare a glass by rimming it with chipotle powder and set aside
- In mixing glass combine .25 - .5 oz. -or- 8 - 15 ml. simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
- 1 Dash orange Bitters ( I used Regan's)
- 2 oz. -or- 60 ml. Tequila ( I use La Gritona)
- Stir over ice and strain into the prepare glass
- Using the back of a barspoon float approx. 3 oz of Agave Maria beer from the Last Abbey