Counter-Strike: Global Offensive may be five years old, but it lives on through a huge multiplayer and eSports audience. Valve has continued to religiously update the game, with the latest patch adding a new map based on the Italian city of Venice.
Canals has two tourist areas under attack by Phoenix terrorists and Seal Team 6 is responding. "The map is based on real-world environments that give each area its own architectural style as well as gameplay, and produce an unconventional layout," developer Valve said in the update notes. "The CT side is composed of a large, wide open area while the T-controlled territory forms a crescent of smaller spaces around it and provides multiple approaches to each bomb site."
The posts discusses how players should approach the map and the two objectives. "Site A is set in the open CT territory and rewards the use of smoke grenades as well as rifle skills, while site B is located in the interior where submachine guns and shotguns will prove most useful."
In addition to the new map, the Phoenix terrorist model is getting a visual upgrade "focused on preserving character legibility and improving overall visual fidelity."
Here are the full patch notes:
- Released Canals, available in all game modes.
- Visually upgraded the Phoenix Terrorist player model.
- Added the Spectrum Case, featuring 17 community designs. In the Spectrum Case, the rare special item will be the second generation of knives in Chroma finishes.
[ AUDIO ]
- Improved performance when using HRTF.
- Fixed some cases where grenade sounds wouldn’t play when they should.
[ MISC ]
- Fixed teammate color problem when teammates select an invalid color.
- cl_drawhud_force_radar can have three values: -1 to force draw no radar, 0 default, 1 to force draw radar even if other HUD is disabled.
- cl_drawhud_force_deathnotices can have three values: -1 to force draw no deathnotices, 0 default, 1 to force draw deathnotices even if other HUD is disabled.
- Added option to Game Settings to set Team ID to Always On ( cl_teamid_overhead_always ). Server can disable with sv_teamid_overhead_always_prohibit.
- Added binding to Show Team Equipment ( +cl_show_team_equipment ) that will show teammates’ full Target ID, including equipment. Server can disable with sv_show_team_equipment_prohibit.
- func_rotating objects no longer freeze and spam server console after rotating 1000 times
[ MAPS ]
- Thinned out corner when coming into hut from lobby, making it easier to peek into A site
- Bullets now do more damage when shot through walls in hut
- Raised rollup door in Mini, making it easier to see towards rafters
- Removed three boxes on top of blue container near garage
- Reduced C4 explosion radius from 500 to 400 units (Thanks NaVi!)
- Made water outside the map deeper (Thanks hollandje!)
- Raised arch on CT side of long A
- Fixed some boost exploits
- Railing on top of boost position near T bridge no longer blocks bullets
- Various bug fixes
John Keefer posted a new article, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gets a New Map, Better Looking Phoenix Terrorist
Strange that they make changes to old maps that effect gameplay. If you play test your maps and game to hell *cough* valve *cough* you often get bland gameplay. There doesn't need to be positives and negatives to every position or pathway.