The popular Long War mod fro XCOM: Enemy Unknown has now made its way to XCOM 2 as promised earlier this month.
The Long War 2 is a total conversion mod for XCOM 2 and revamps some game mechanics, while expanding on other, such as classes and number of missions. Here is a synopsis of the contents:
- A much longer campaign, running for 100 to 120 missions on average
- Infiltration mechanics that require you to send out multiple squads at once
- Manage resistance Havens and have resistance members scrounge for supplies, gather intelligence or recruit more people to your cause
- Nine soldier classes: Sharpshooter, Shinobi, Ranger, Assault, Gunner, Grenadier, Specialist, Technical and Psionic (plus Sparks for DLC owners), each with unique secondary weapons
- Two new weapon tiers, lasers and coilguns
- Dozens of new enemies and smarter battlefield AI
- ADVENT strategic AI that tries to counter your moves
John Lumpkin, managing partner and lead designer on the mod for Pavonis Interactive, said that the mod makes some changes from the original Long War, such as now relying on Infiltration mechanics instead of fatigue factor for team members. "We want to tie up your soldiers and force you to develop a deeper roster, and frankly the infiltration mechanic works better narratively than fatigue to fulfill this purpose, especially in a guerrilla war narrative," he said in an interview for the official XCOM 2 site. "We also wanted to make squad size something organically determined rather than a straight set of upgrades you acquire over a campaign. Now, the extra flexibility provided by bringing 10 soldiers on a mission has costs, so it’s ultimately up to the player to decide how they want to take on a mission."
There are also numrous changes to Tactical gameplay, such as AWC/officer perks creating unique soldiers, corpse reanimation by unactivated sectoids, defending evac areas, and new weapons such as the arc thrower and coil cannon.
Even though the Long War 2 diesn;t have as many mission as the original, Lumpkin said he and the team are pleased with the result. We think we’ve recreated a lot of the “Long War” feel in the XCOM 2 engine."
John Keefer posted a new article, XCOM 2 total conversion mod Long War 2 out now with 2K's blessing
Btw, humble bundle monthly bundle includes xcom 2. Monthly bundle begins at $12 a month.
*includes xcom 2 for this month.