One of our favorite features in Final Fantasy XV is the ability to hear select tracks from each previous Final Fantasy main title. Cruising around in the Regalia to the Final Fantasy VII classic J-E-N-O-V-A is an awesome feeling, and within an hour or so of starting the game, you can do it. However, like many facets of Final Fantasy 15, nothing in the game explicitly tells you just how to do this.
Listening to these soundtracks seems like it should be easy, but because of the lack of prompting it can be a real brainbuster. In this guide, we’ll take you through the process of obtaining new soundtracks throughout the game, and how to tune into it once you’ve got it. It’ll take a lot of hoofing it around to complete the full classic Final Fantasy soundtrack collection, but it’s so worth it.
Getting New Final Fantasy Soundtracks for the Regalia
Very early in the game, your automobile, the Regalia, breaks down and has to be repaired in Hammerhead. You’ll have to spend the time the Regalia is getting fixed doing a few quests for Cindy, but once they’re completed, you’ll get back control of your car, and thus, its stereo.
Each classic Final Fantasy soundtrack comes in the form of an item you can purchase from various merchants scattered throughout the land of Lucis. The first two soundtracks can be purchased right there in Hammerhead even before the Regalia is repaired. Each soundtrack item starts with the words, “Memories of,” followed by the title of a Final Fantasy game and can be purchased in the auto section of shops that offer them.
The following list shows the location and price of each of Final Fantasy soundtrack roughly in the chronological order you can obtain them.
- Hammerhead - Leide
- Memories of FFIV - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFVII - 100 Gil
- Longwythe Rest Area - Leide
- Memories of FFII - 100 Gil
- Galdin Quay - Leide
- Memories of FFV - 100 Gil
- Coernix Station - Alstor - Duscae
- Memories of FFX - 100 Gil
- Coernix Station - Cauthess - Duscae
- Memories of FFIX (Disc 1) - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFIX (Disc 2) - 100 Gil
- Wiz Chocobo Post - Duscae
- Memories of FFX - 100 Gil
- Coernix Station Lestallum - Cleigne
- Memories of XIV (Disc 1) - 100 Gil
- Memories of XIV (Disc 2) - 100 Gil
- Old Lestallum - Cleigne
- Memories of Dissidia FF - 500 Gil
- Memories of Dissidia 012 FF - 500 Gil
- Burbost Souvenir Emporium - Cleigne
- Memories of FFXI (Disc 1) - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFXI (Disc 2) - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFXI (Disc 3) - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFXI (Disc 4) - 100 Gil
- Memories of FFXI (Disc 5) - 100 Gil
- Verinas Mart - Ravatogh
- Memories of FFXII - 100 Gil
How to Listen to Final Fantasy Soundtracks in the Regalia
So you’ve purchased a soundtrack, and you want to hear it? Unfortunately, there’s no playlist window you can open to select the track you want quickly. Instead, you have to go through the tracks using the left and right D-pad buttons. However, there is a way to speed up your track selection that isn’t readily apparent.
By holding the left or right D-pad instead of tapping it, instead of changing to the next or previous track you can go to the next or previous album. As you collect classic Final Fantasy soundtracks they are added to your playlist in order, so skipping through the albums will make it pretty easy for you to narrow down the track you want quickly.
Check Out More of Our Final Fantasy Guides
We hope this guide helped you get your Final Fantasy aural fixation. For more Final Fantasy XV news and guides make sure to check out our Final Fantasy XV Guide Hub where you can get more info to help make your playthrough the best it can be.