Black Mesa re-imagines Half-Life with Valve's Source today

The team at Crowbar Collective have released their re-imagining of the original Half-Life using Valve's Source, called Black Mesa, on Steam Early Access today.

5

Crowbar Collective have released a re-envisioned version of Valve Software’s Half-Life today on Steam Early Access called Black Mesa.

Black Mesa is a re-imagining of Half-Life created using Valve’s Source engine and features over 10 hours of single-player gameplay that only leads up to the Lambda Core chapter, new choreographed scenes and new voice acting. There’s also deathmatch and team deathmatch with six multiplayer maps from Half-Life recreated using the Source engine, all of which run on its own dedicated servers.

Black Mesa was released on Steam Early Access due to the project’s scope and scale. Crowbar Collective originally released what they had back in 2012 and were fueled by fan reaction to continue their work and wanted to continue receiving feedback from the community to participate in the final phase of development. The team also didn’t have the resources to create Xen as they would have liked, so they have the first ~85% of the campaign completed. The remaining 15% will not only be recreated, but will be improved by the team’s standards.

Black Mesa is available for $19.99 during its Steam Early Access phase.

Senior Editor

From The Chatty

  • reply
    May 5, 2015 9:15 AM

    Daniel Perez posted a new article, Black Mesa re-imagines Half-Life with Valve's Source today

    • reply
      May 5, 2015 4:11 PM

      What did they change from their free release a couple years ago? Besides it being $20.

      • reply
        May 5, 2015 9:44 PM

        From what I could find, it looks like the free release is stuck where it is from now on. So if they update Black Mesa (Xen, any other changes), you'll need to have the $20 deal.

        For all the damned work they've put into it, that's a totally fair price to pay. Hopefully it encourages them to continue and give us the Xen we deserve (ie: an entertaining Xen, not a slog).

    • reply
      May 5, 2015 10:19 PM

      Now includes multiplayer, whoa?

      • reply
        May 5, 2015 10:24 PM

        I'm downloading. Need to show some peeps my stalkyard game. Apologies in advance :p

        • reply
          May 5, 2015 11:10 PM

          I've been talking about HL Multiplayer to pals for the past week since I saw some students playing it. Now this announcement. I need to take a look for myself.

    • reply
      May 6, 2015 1:58 PM

      I bought it. I'm a huge Half-Life fan and these guys deserve a show of appreciation from the fans. I hope the money helps in bringing a team back together so they can finish their vision of Xen and work on any other improvements.