Zone of the Enders sequel suspended

Hideo Kojima says that the new Zone of the Enders project announced last year has been shelved, and the team disbanded, after poor quality of the HD remaster disappointed fans.

5

A new Zone of the Enders game has been put on ice, at least for the time being. Another game in Hideo Kojima's mecha action series was announced in May of last year, but Kojima says those plans were shelved after the disappointing HD Collection.

On an episode of Kojima's online radio show (translated by Kotaku), he talked about the scuttled project. He said the HD remaster didn't live up to his standards, cost the company too much time and money, and ultimately disappointed fans. He also noted that the original team didn't make the HD version, and that the HD version's quality probably frustrates them. Due to all that, the sequel has been scrapped.

"Even when people abroad see me, I'm often asked about a Zone of the Enders sequel," he said. "Right now, nothing's happening. We originally said we were going to do a sequel, but the team has been disbanded." He also noted that "because of what happened, the producer and everything were cut, too."

Kojima himself was only going to produce the new ZOE, handing the reins of writing and designing to others at the studio. He did note that he'd still like to hear from fans if they would like a new ZOE, but that's no guarantee of another game.

Editor-In-Chief
From The Chatty
  • reply
    May 3, 2013 9:30 AM

    Steve Watts posted a new article, Zone of the Enders sequel suspended.

    Hideo Kojima says that the new Zone of the Enders project announced last year has been shelved, and the team disbanded, after poor quality of the HD remaster disappointed fans.

    • reply
      May 3, 2013 9:39 AM

      This report makes it sound a whole lot worse than the situation actually is:

      http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/02/we-might-have-to-wait-a-little-longer-for-a-zone-of-the-enders-sequel/

      Sounds more like it hasn't been scrapped but put on hold (again). Also the article mentions the important point that Kojima Studios is working on a patch for the PS3 HD Collection to improve frame rates and overall visual quality.

    • reply
      May 3, 2013 9:39 AM

      Goddamnit.

    • reply
      May 3, 2013 9:41 AM

      A niche title like ZOE could have been turned into a new small scale downloadable game that focused on high scores. But I guess if it doesn't have 45 minute cutscenes, it isn't worth Kojipro's time.

      • reply
        May 3, 2013 11:01 AM

        I'm not sure if I'd really like that though - I rather enjoy ZOE for the campy story and cheesy cutscenes in addition to the action (odd as that sounds) - I'd find a high-score shooter too repetitive.

        • reply
          May 3, 2013 11:03 AM

          I agree. ZOE2 was just plain fun and the anime-esque style of it really made it stand out.

    • reply
      May 3, 2013 11:04 AM

      sadface.

    • reply
      May 4, 2013 1:00 AM

      Why is it that if you admittedly do a half-ass job of an HD Collection, and your audience predictably doesn't run out and buy it in droves, that this response is taken as a sign to scrap doing a NEW game? Not that I'm personally dying for a sequel to ZOE, but people might actually buy the NEW game if Kojima and Konami actually put some time and effort into it. Kojima-san has been spreading himself too thin for ages now.

      • reply
        May 4, 2013 1:02 AM

        The key thing there is MIGHT. They probably decided it was not worth the investment after they burnt bridges because there was a good chance not enough people would give them a second chance.