Anno dev Related Designs acquired by Ubisoft

Anno series and Might & Magic Heroes Online developer Related Designs has joined the Ubisoft family, with the publisher announcing today that it has acquired the German studio. Related will continue working on MMHO and will make more games with Ubi's Blue Byte studio, which it collaborated with on Anno 2070.

7

Anno series and Might & Magic Heroes Online developer Related Designs has joined the Ubisoft family, with the publisher announcing today that it has acquired the German studio. Related will continue working on MMHO and will make more games with Ubi's Blue Byte studio, which it collaborated with on Anno 2070.

Ubi owned a 29.95% stake before, and has now snapped up the remaining 70.05%.

"Bringing the talented teams from Related Designs into the fold at Ubisoft is a mutually beneficial evolution of the relationship that we've had with this great studio for the past six years," Blue Byte managing director Odile Limpach said in today's announcement.

Related and Blue Byte will be more able to share "experiences and resources" now, he said.

Related isn't huge, only 65 people-strong, but hey, isn't it about time we heard of a new Anno?

From The Chatty
  • reply
    April 11, 2013 11:05 AM

    Alice O'Connor posted a new article, Anno dev Related Designs acquired by Ubisoft.

    Anno series and Might & Magic Heroes Online developer Related Designs has joined the Ubisoft family, with the publisher announcing today that it has acquired the German studio. Related will continue working on MMHO and will make more games with Ubi's Blue Byte studio, which it collaborated with on Anno 2070.

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 11:22 AM

      Well that's weak. Anno is going down the drain now...thanks Ubisoft

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 11:36 AM

      Oh god, Haxim... What are you gonna do man?

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 11:57 AM

      That's the life cycle of any good game or series. Getting bought by a publisher is the gaming equivalent of end of life care. Best make arrangements.

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 12:00 PM

      nooooooooooooo

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 12:04 PM

      Guys calm down, Maxis got acquired by EA and everything turned out fine. Nothing bad will come of this.

      • reply
        April 11, 2013 1:11 PM

        My sarcasm meter broke not so long ago, but this is sarcasm, right?

        Anyway, I played Anno 2070 and as much as I tried hard liking it, I much prefer Anno 1701 and the one afterwards (1604?)

        The DRM behind it and the 'items and events only attained by going online' crap just turned me off totally.

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 2:24 PM

      :-( Not good.

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 5:13 PM

      Well at least we have all the other ANNOs. They are great games. Hopefully we'll still be able to play ANNO 2070 * Deep Ocean 10 years from now. :(

    • reply
      April 11, 2013 7:27 PM

      What is the major gripe behind Ubi aquiring Related Designs? Is there a benefit to the company as a result of the publisher acquiring the studio? DRM is obviously been an issue as of late with Ubi but the games/game play itself, has that ever been an issue with Ubi games? I hope Ubi blows money shot wads all over this developer so they can continue to make Anno the way the developer intended but now with more resources.

Hello, Meet Lola