Should competitive video gaming become part of the Olympics? It's something I've been thinking about over the last few days after stumbling across this article by Shacker Chris Morris. Sure, it's a bit on the older side, but it's still relevant with new games like Tribes: Ascend and Dota 2 vying for the top eSports spotlight.
What do you think? Should competitive gaming be included in the Olympics? My vote is yes, but with a few caveats. Day and Tasteless need to cast together, and hats must be given for the bronze, silver, and gold medal winners in Team Fortress 2.
(Click any editor's name to visit their Twitter page. Follow Shacknews on Twitter for regular updates.)
- Garnett Lee: I’m enjoying the summertime gaming catch up. Switched to DX11 mode for Metro 2033 and the advance depth of field effect stands well above the usual tricks seen in current games. I’m also playing Lost Odyssey and Gran Turismo 5, and finally Atom Zombie Smasher which is absolutely wicked.
- Andrew Yoon: I’m wrapping up New Super Mario Bros. 2, just in time for next week’s release of Sound Shapes on Vita.
- John Keefer: This weekend I will be playing QuakeCon roulette, trying to decide which panels to attend and then trying to get more time with Doom 3 BFG in 3D and Dishonored.
- Alice O'Connor: QuakeCon has claimed my Dota 2 partner, so I'll probably stare at a wall until I have to work again on Monday. Or I could read a book. I'm almost finished with the tedious tome that is Quicksilver, and then I'll be allowed to start something good.
- Jeff Mattas: [Eaten by a grue]
- Steve Watts: I'll probably give Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance a spin, work through Hybrid, and chase (easy) achievements in Deadlight.
- Ozzie Mejia: I have my copy of Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance ready to go. I'm hoping this game will create a nice setup for Kingdom Hearts 3. Then again, I said the same thing for the last three KH spin-offs, so who even knows anymore?
- Tyler J. Smith: The Walking Dead really has me spoiled, unfortunately. I've been playing Deadlight for the last two nights, and the voice-overs are just terrible. The backstory is interesting, the gameplay itself isn't bad, but the voices are downright immersion breaking.
Tyler J. Smith posted a new article, What are you playing: Olympics.
Hey, you! Yes, you. What are you playing this weekend? Check-in with Team Shack and see what we are up to!
Oh that graphic, you cards you.
You know you like it!
I'll check out Secret World free weekend. Play some Deus Ex: HR, try to finish my stealth no kill run. Maybe then some Valkyria Chronicles.
A certain beta. Probably ArmA 2 on Sunday.