As predicted last week, the latest expansion pack for The Sims, Apartment Life, has debuted on the charts. Even less surprisingly, it debuted at number one. Also starting out in the top ten is Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm.
The top ten for the week of August 24 to August 30 follows:
- The Sims 2 Apartment Life Expansion Pack / EA Maxis / $26 (Average)
- World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest / Blizzard / $35 (Average)
- The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $30 (Average)
- World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $20 (Average)
- Spore Creature Creator / EA Maxis / $10 (Average)
- Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm / Liquid Dragon / $42 (Average)
- World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack / Blizzard / $30 (Average)
- The Sims 2 IKEA Home Stuff Expansion Pack / EA Maxis / $20 (Average)
- Warcraft III Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
- Diablo Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
Is this healthy for the gaming market? I mean, it was entertaining for a while, now its almost disturbing.
I don't know a single person. NOT ONE!!! Who has ever purchased a SIM's expansion. I knew one guy who bought the original, but then hated it.
The Sims has been on the top seller chart every month forever. How many years has it been 6? 8?. Shouldn't that mean that everyone and their dog has a copy of it now? It would be interesting to go through the numbers of these rankings and see how many copies of the Sim and it's expansions have been sold according to those numbers. (Well, it would be interesting to see what the numbers are...it would suck to actually add them up.)
However, there is corroborating evidence. The SIMs section at Wal-mart is always well stocked. Who are all these people, and why don't I know any of them Thank goodness I don't know any of them.
I think it just speaks to the elitism...er, "hardcore focus" on these forums. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I bought the original sims expansion....back when it was cool....10 years ago. haha
Go check out the Sims 2 forums. They're packed.
hardcore sims fans only have friends within their sims game
i have bought almost every expansion for sims 1 & 2. not that i really play it, but my kids love it.
It's been this way essentially forever. goobleramping nailed it, we 'hardcore gamers' are something of a minority when it comes to PC games, especially at retail.