Samsung customer sues for damages and restraining order on Galaxy Note9 sales after getting burned

A close encounter with a smoking purse led to burned fingers and damaged goods.

1

A Samsung customer is suing for unspecified damage and a restraining order barring sales of the Galaxy Note9s after getting burned when the device started smoking while in her purse.

The New York Post shared the story, describing what could be the first reported incident for the Note9. The real estate agent noticed that her phone was getting hot while in use, so she decided to put it in her purse and stop using it. While in an elevator, "she heard a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke" before dropping the purse on the floor. She tried to empty it, then, which is when she burned her fingers on the Galaxy Note9. She kicked it out of the elevator once she reached the lobby and someone grabbed it with a cloth before dropping it into a bucket of water.

In a an update posted yesterday, September 17, Samsung gave the New York Post this statement:

“Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States. We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter.”

Samsung will need to act quickly when handling this unfortunate event so that the public's confidence in their products is restablished before the upcoming "4x  fun" Galaxy event in October. Stay tuned to Shacknews and look out for updates as this news develops.

News Editor

Charles Singletary Jr keeps the updates flowing as the News Editor, breaking stories while investigating the biggest topics in gaming and technology. He's pretty active on Twitter, so feel free to reach out to him @The_CSJR. Got a hot tip? Email him at Charles.Singletary@Shacknews.com.

From The Chatty