The next Bilge Rat Adventure is here, and instead of fighting on land, players are tasked with diving below the water to destroy cursed mermaid statues. These statues are laden with jewels, making them shine at a distance, and are extremely tough to destroy. Finding the cursed mermaid statues in Sea of Thieves can be a challenge, even for the most intrepid explorer.
Cursed Mermaid Statue Commendations
There are 10 commendations that players can earn during the Sunken Curse Bilge Rat Adventure, though only seven of these reward doubloons. The three that don’t reward doubloons are title commendations that players will unlock as they complete the others. Completing all commendations will net players 150 doubloons, which can be used to purchase the limited-time cosmetics and the Letters of Recommendation.
Normal Cursed Mermaid Statue Commendations
- Sapphire Curse Breaker – Destroy 3 sapphire cursed mermaid statues
- Master Sapphire Curse Breaker – Destroy 15 sapphire cursed mermaid statues
- Emerald Curse Breaker – Destroy 3 emerald cursed mermaid statues
- Master Emerald Curse Breaker Destroy 15 emerald cursed mermaid statues
- Ruby Curse Breaker – Destroy 3 ruby cursed mermaid statues
- Master Ruby Curse Breaker – Destroy 15 ruby cursed mermaid statues
- “Curse Breaker” Title – Earn the following commendations: Sapphire Curse Breaker, Emerald Curse Breaker, and Ruby Curse Breaker Commendations
- “Master Curse Breaker” Title – Earn all Master Curse Breaker Commendations
Legendary Cursed Mermaid Statue Commendations
- Legendary Curse Breaker – Destroy 100 cursed mermaid statues
- “Legendary Curse Breaker” Title – Earn the Legendary Curse Breaker Commendation
Where to Find Cursed Mermaid Statues
The cursed mermaid statues come in three different types in Sea of Thieves: sapphire (blue), emerald (green), and ruby (red), with each one being tougher than the last. While a two-player sloop can destroy a sapphire and emerald cursed mermaid statue with ease, destroying a ruby statue requires a few more players.
Unfortunately, these cursed mermaid statues do not spawn in set locations, instead, they spawn randomly around the many islands in the Sea of Thieves – the only islands they don’t seem to spawn around are outposts and forts. This means that to find a cursed mermaid statue, players will need to swim around an island, looking for a shining blue, green, or red jewel. A creepy tune also accompanies the statues, so it’s worth turning the music up and listening out for any unusual melodies while underwater.
How to Destroy Cursed Mermaid Statues
When a statue has been found, take note of its color. A sapphire cursed mermaid statue is easy to kill and will break apart in a matter of seconds, while an emerald will take a few more attacks to destroy. Meanwhile, a ruby statue will take the most amount of hits to kill.
- Blue mermaid statue: killed with 12 sword hits (one or more players)
- Green mermaid statue: killed with 50 sword hits (one or more players)
- Red mermaid statue: killed with 10 sniper bullets and 66 sword hits (requires two players, 5 bullets and 33 hits each)
A good tactic can be to use gunwpoder barrels to destroy a statue, provided the statue is in shallow water. When attacking a statue in deep water, try to stay outside of its damage radius while also staying close enough to hit it. The cutlass' hit range is longer than the statue's damage range.
The more damage a cursed mermaid statue takes, the more it will fracture and split apart. The trick is to continually damage it, as any pauses or lulls in damage will result in the mermaid statue healing, undoing all the hard work. It’s a good idea to have all players shoot at it at the same time, and follow up with sustained cutlass attacks. Keep in mind that getting too close to the cursed mermaid statue results in continued damage, similar to drowning. Remember: attack the statues using a cutlass while staying just outside of the statue damage range.
This Bilge Rat Adventure will be a little more time-consuming than the last two (skeleton thrones and gunpowder skeletons) as the cursed mermaid statues spawn randomly and only appear below the water. However, it’s worth taking the time to find the cursed mermaid statues, as each commendation awards doubloons – a currency worth earning to help reach Pirate Legend. Be sure to check out the Sea of Thieves Guide and Walkthrough for more helpful pirate articles!