Sega has been teasing a new Sonic game since SXSW back in March and, while the blacked-out logo looked very familiar, none of us had confirmation of what the new game would be...until now. Team Sonic Racing puts the legendary hedgehog and his supporting cast back behind the wheel and is full-speed-ahead toward a Winter release.
Coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, Team Sonic Racing is being created by Sumo Digital and features solo and team racing. Sonic, Tails, and Shadow are confirmed in the press release and Knuckles is confirmed in the official screenshots. 11 more characters are on the way as well and will fit into three racer types: Speed, technique, and power. The full breakdown of features is below:
- Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes – 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline/online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
- Team Racing – Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization – Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode – Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.
Preorders for the game are live on the official Team Sonic Racing website. Physical editions are coming to consoles but PC will only see a digital release of the game. The target is a Winter release, but stay tuned to Shacknews for the official date.