The swashbuckling experience Sea of Thieves from Rare is live and the next patch is due. For the most part, the improvements and changes are focused on quality-of-life for Sea of Thieves players and heading toward a consistent foundation upon which to build.
Sea of Thieves Update Version 1.0.1 Patch Notes, Fixes, and Changes
The most significant fixes from patch 1.0.2 focus on spawning. When a single pirate or a crew’s ship is destroyed, the new ship will now spawn even further away than before. Most importantly, it won’t spawn in the view of the ship that sank it. This will certainly make attacking forts less stressful as players can remove adversaries and focus on the waves of skeletons without having to deal with rapid attacks from the same ships.
Secondly, players can no longer “accidentally” use the mermaid teleport system to get treasure back to their ship. This move cements the risk and reward that comes with sailing around in Sea of Thieves without a loot hogging workaround for the pirates that aren’t up to snuff.
Various members of the Shack crew have set sail in Sea of Thieves, including myself. While I am having fun, this feels like a game that will live or die on updates. We’re still ironing out a full review so stay tuned for that. The full notes are below and additional notes can be found on the official Sea of Thieves forums.
- Ship respawn distance - When a ship sinks, we have significantly increased the distance at which the crews new ship will respawn.
- Ships will now respawn outside of visible view of the ship that sank them. This is in response to lots of player feedback which highlighted that the previous spawn distance was resulting in "griefing" behaviour and stalemates at the forts!
- Mermaid Teleport - It is no longer possible to accidentally teleport to your ship from the mermaid whilst holding treasure items. We saw feedback that players were accidentally leaving treasure behind in the sea!
- [PC Only] Players should no longer experience the 0x80070005 error or get stuck at 99% during installation.
- Players are no longer able to fall through the ship geometry and into the sea if they are to repeatedly jump on the chests/barrel located mid deck
- The voyage image on the captain’s table now displays the rank (promotion) banner in the top right corner, to keep in line with other areas of the game UI.
- When accepting a game invitation whilst matchmaking, the game no longer enters a temporary unresponsive state.
- Bounty Captains will no longer spawn multiple times.
- Multiple server and client crash fixes.
Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
- Players may experience details of their pirate (such as hair colour / scars) looking different from their initial selection.
- Achievements earned prior to March 29th are delayed, but will be awarded once our fix is applied.
- Some players are unable to equip a second weapon. For a potential workaround see our Support Article.
- For an update on these three issues, please read our Launch Update written by Executive Producer, Joe Neate.
- Some players have not received their Black Dog Pack code.
- If you pre-ordered from the official Microsoft Store, please submit a Support ticket through Support. If you pre-ordered from another retailer, please contact them to receive your code.
- Some players cannot see their downloadable content in game.
- Please read our Support Article for a potential workaround for this issue.
- Bounty quest skeletons sometimes do not spawn or cannot be found.
- If you encounter this bug, a potential work around is to sail away from the island until it’s out of range, and then sail back in to trigger the Island Name banners.
Stay on top of the latest news in Rare's open-sea adventure by keeping your sights set to Shacknews' own ever-expanding Sea of Thieves walkthrough and guide. Information for the previous patch can be found here.
Charles Singletary posted a new article, Sea of Thieves Patch 1.0.2 Makes Griefing Walk The Plank
Still enjoying this game, but will be curious to see the drop of concurrent players after the game pass trial ends.
I've definitely slowed down in playing it until they fix some of the issues and give me a reason to keep playing.
Yeah, I've been playing for weeks and have yet to spend any gold at all. They really should have added variations or even new weapons to the item shops instead of just cosmetic stuff. The cosmetic stuff they have on there isn't even exciting at all, and the ship items are ridiculously expensive and only has like 5 options total for each item.
Basically I'm not sure who would be motivated to keep grinding gold with the items they current have available.