What is The Pirate Code in Sea of Thieves?
They're more like guidelines than actual rules, but players hitting the open water should still brush up on the Pirate Code in Sea of Thieves.
It's often said that there's no honor among thieves, but the same isn't (or shouldn't) be true for pirates diving into Rare's nautical adventure Sea of Thieves. Real-world pirates are known to have lived and died by the pirate code, and though players hopefully won't ever have to consider such drastic measures, the team at Rare did come up with a distinct pirate code specifically to outline behavior expected of Sea of Thieves players.
Sea of Thieves - The Pirate Code
According to the official Sea of Thieves website, the Pirate Code dictates that "even the scurviest of pirates have rules." In particular, the crew at Rare tapped on player feedback to come up with seven distinct articles dictating how Sea of Thieves players should behave on their voyages. They are written verbatim as follows:
• Article 1: The Sea Calls To Us All - Everyone is welcome in Sea of Thieves regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, nationality or creed.
• Article 2: The Sea Unites Us as One Community - Outside the heat of battle or piracy on the high seas, all crews shall bond together as a community of like-minded souls.
• Article 3: Disputes Are Settled upon the Waves - None shall quarrel or overly dissent against another crew, but let every engagement be settled by sword, pistol and good seamanship.
• Article 4: All Crewmates Are Equal - Let each crewmate be respected as equal and free to follow their own bearing, speak openly and vote in affairs of the voyage.
• Article 5: The Crew Bond Is Sacred - Those who betray their crew and ship through griefing or trolling shall be sent to the brig.
• Article 6: Respect New Pirates and Their Voyage Ahead - May the old legends help forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.
• Article 7: Those Who Cheat Shall Be Punished - Pirates who show bad form and cheat their crew or others shall surely face bitter hardships and punishments.
While it's unlikely that a whirlpool will engulf players who break any article of the Sea of Thieves pirate code, sailors who want to make the most out of their adventure would do well to stick to these guidelines. Players who want to know more about the origins of the Sea of Thieves pirate code can do so by checking out the community pirate code post over on the official Sea of Thieves forum; alternatively, they can watch the above video to see Joe Neate, executive producer of Sea of Thieves, outline the pirate code at New York Comic Con in 2017.
Now that the code is ingrained in your brain, learn even more about Rare's fantastic voyage by checking out our extensive Sea of Thieves guide and walkthrough.