From my time in the beta, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is a massive improvement on the original game. Despite that, it seems that EA is muddying the water with a loot crate system that rewards players with better weapons, vehicle stats, and more. The system is being heavily critiqued across gaming communities and EA has taken the close of the open beta as an opportunity to address concerns.
The crates can be earned through gameplay but can also be purchased with real money, which is the root of the problem. The crates include things that give competitive advantages over other players, so someone with deep pockets will get a leg up. EA dropped a blog thanking players for their help during the beta and had a list of things to say about loot crates:
- There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes,
Outfitsand Victory Poses.
- As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
- Crates will include a mix of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.
- Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.
- If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.
- And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.
There are a couple keys in that list that should ease concerns a bit. Gameplay only (allegedly) will yield players the best content and, even if you are able to pay for better gear, you'll have to be a specific level to use them. If matchmaking is handled well, this will provide matchups that don't give players too much of an advantage because players they encounter will have similar gear as well.
We won't really know how well all of this works out until the game launches, but this does seem like a step in the right direction.
Charles Singletary posted a new article, EA Reponds to Loot Box Backlash from Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Beta
So glad youtubers are calling out EA on their bullshit and many are calling for a boycott of Star Wars Battlefront 2! But unfortunately because its Star Wars most people will have their nostalgia blinders on and this will mean EA will win and feel justified to continue this practice going forward. I don't understand why they just didn't do it like the Battlefield games where they offer those class unlock packs at a later time to give new players a chance to play with veteran players and not feel useless in the match.
I don't mind so much as long as the items are available for free in the game and everything is random. Let people spend their money on the bullshit scam lottery for cosmetics and in game money. But PLEASE give everyone the maps for free. Separating the game into multiple tiers of who bought the DLC is fucking garbage!
The only way to get scrap to upgrade gear was in the loot boxes. The only way to really progress is in the loot boxes... this is not ok at all. Overwatch does it right but Battlefront does it so wrong...