What's this all about?
I've had a lot of people approach me to ask about D&D. Lots are interested in checking it out, but are afraid to commit to a long-standing campaign, or aren't sure how to get started. So, I've decided to set up a series of "one-shot" adventures for folks who want to check out D&D but don't want to commit to anything.
These one-shots will be stand-alone adventures that tell a complete story in a single session--that way y'all can get a taste of D&D without being on the hook for a longer campaign.
What do I need to play?
Not much! I'm trying to make these as simple as possible for y'all to play, so I'll be taking care of everything, including building pre-made character sheets optimized for the adventure. You'll still be able to make the character your own, and you can absolutely just roll your own character if you're familiar and would like to, but if you want to just jump in and play, I'll have premades ready to go, who just need a name and a description.
- A computer with:
- A webcam
- A microphone
- Ability to run Zoom
- Ability to browse the internet
- A can-do attitude
- A name for your character
- A physical description for your character
- A backstory for your character
- Roll your own level 3 character using Standard Array or Point Buy on dndbeyond
- A beverage of your choice
- Other friends that you want to play with (alternatively, you can just sign up for a slot and play in a 'pick-up group').
Sounds great! How do I get started?
- Sign up for a slot in one of the games on this here google doc. Don't worry, it will open in a new window.
- If you have friends who want to play in the same game, sign them up for the same game (but please be sure they definitely want to play, first).
- Watch this 15 minute video to familiarize yourself with what we're going to be doing, and the basics of how to play D&D (also embedded below).
- Let me know if you have any questions
- Show up on game day ready to play!
I will be sending out links to participants after we've got a full game. Links will include a Zoom meeting that we'll use for the game, and a campaign link to use on dndbeyond, which will allow you to claim your character if you're using one of my pre-mades, or to add your character if you're rolling your own.
There are currently just two games with 4 slots each on the signup page--one on a Saturday, and one on a Wednesday, to try to accomodate different schedules. I'm pretty flexible, so if we need to move these games around a bit, we can. If there is significant interest in these games, I will be more than happy to add additional games to the signup pages. :)
If you're interested in getting a better feel for what D&D is actually like when it's played, I recommend checking out this quick one-shot "duet" (one DM and one player) with DM Matthew Mercer and Stephen Colbert for Red Nose Day last year.
Looking forward to playing with you!