With so many new investors piling into stocks, people are still learning about the stock market's holiday policies. Traders all want to know the same thing. Is the US stock market open on December 24, 2021?
Is the US Stock Market closed on Christmas Eve December, 24 2021?
The New York Stock Exchange Holiday schedule has Christmas Eve marked down as closed for the observance of the Christmas holiday that falls on a Saturday in the year of our lord 2021. So no, the market is closed today.
If you wake up on Friday wondering why your favorite stock isn't mooning, it isn't a conspiracy. The market is just closed.
You know what stinks about Christmas being on a Saturday? It means that New Year's Day falls on a Saturday too. Mr. Market doesn't afford New Year's a different day for obervance of the holiday, so traders are losing one day off that they had in 2021.
The good news is that everyone is gaining a stock market holiday in 2022 with Juneteenth National Independence Day being observed on June 20th of next year for the first time ever. Christmas falls on a Sunday next year, so the stock market holiday will be observed on December 26, 2022.
NYSE 2022 Stock Market Holidays
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 17, 2022
- Washington's Birthday - Monday, February 21, 2022
- Good Friday - Friday, April 15, 2022
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 30, 2022
- Juneteenth National Independence Day - Monday, June 20, 2022
- Independence Day - Monday, July 4, 2022
- Labor Day - Monday, September 5, 2022
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 24, 2022
- Christmas Day - Monday, December 26, 2022 (observed)
Well that was definitely more than 300 words, but I could probably keep the reader on the page if I embedded something related to the article's topic.
Have a great Christmas Eve and a Merry Christmas! No need to worry about your 401k until Monday, or Sunday night when Index Futures start trading.