That changed today, as publisher 2K Games unveiled the lineup of games it will display at E3 2010, listing XCOM as a 2011 release alongside Spec Ops: The Line.
For the curious, we've copied the whole of today's announcement just below:
2K Comes to E3 2010 with Its Biggest and Most Powerful Lineup Ever
Exciting shooters, intense third-person action, authentic sports games and family friendly fare show the versatility of 2K's biggest E3 showing ever
New York, NY - June 9, 2010 - 2K announced today its star-studded E3 2010 lineup that includes premier high-quality games for gamers of all tastes and ages. The full scope of 2K's experience will be on display* in the South Hall at Booth 2823, as the sequels to some of gaming's biggest franchises will make an appearance alongside the debut of new and exciting additions to their portfolio, creating 2K's biggest E3 showing ever.
"By delivering only the hot list-dominating games that we want to play, 2K will take on E3 2010 with its strongest lineup to date across all of its divisions," said Christoph Harann, president of 2K. "The benefit of our strategic approach to this year's roster of delivering fewer, bigger titles -- featuring games like Mafia II, NBA 2K11 and New Carnival Games -- is that we can focus on delivering the most engaging and entertaining experiences for today's broadening gaming audience. From core to casual, 2K will have something for every gamer this holiday season."
In the past five years, 2K has become one of the gaming industry's premier publishers, creating titles that are both critically and commercially successful. By developing a mantra that emphasizes quality over quantity, 2K has published a number of multi-million unit selling franchises in a short amount of time for a wide variety of platforms including BioShock, Borderlands, Carnival Games, Sid Meier's Civilization, NBA 2K, NHL 2K, Major League Baseball 2K and more. This year's E3 lineup personifies the very essence of the 2K DNA of creating prestigious and meaningful titles that continue to innovate in unique and exciting ways.
The 2K booth will be home to eagerly anticipated titles from 2K Games, 2K Sports and 2K Play. In addition, the 2K booth will be hosting photo-ops with six of Playboy magazine's most popular Playmates appearances, further enhancing the partnership with Mafia II that features more than 50 of Playboy magazine's vintage covers and Centerfolds as part of a unique in-game integration. Two Playmates will be present at the booth each day for the full three days as part of the Mafia II Photobooth Experience. Show goers can dress up in period clothing and pose with props and upload their photos to their favorite photo sharing and networking sites. Playboy.com's 2008 Cyber Girl of the Year and Gamer Next Door Jo Garcia will also be available for autographs at 2K's booth during select hours and dates. Furthermore, the 2K booth will debut the official Mafia II consumer demo for hands-on play for all E3 attendees, prior to its release later this summer. For more information on the Playmates and 2K's booth activities, please visit: www.mafia2game.com/e3.
- Mafia II (August 24, 2010) - A beautifully crafted look into the dark and unforgiving world of the Mafia where clothing, cars, music and advertising are meticulously created to replicate an American city in the '40s and '50s. Cinematic storytelling and intense gunplay combine to deliver the action crime game for this generation.
- Sid Meier's Civilization V (Fall 2010) - The flagship of the award-winning Civilization series returns, introducing an all-new gameplay engine, new combat tactics, ultra-realistic game world and extensive community and multiplayer features.
- Spec Ops: The Line (2011) - A provocative, military shooter that challenges players' own morality by putting them in the middle of unspeakable depravity where brutal life-or-death choices take them on a journey into the heart of darkness.
- XCOM (2011) - An intense and gripping experience driven by the fear and tension that result from mankind's struggle to survive against a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into their world.
- NBA 2K11 (Fall 2010) - It's the #1 selling and rated NBA series that everyone is playing - from the most elite NBA athletes and superstars to the local court gym rats. NBA 2K10 delivered on its promise to TAKE OVER, and NBA 2K11 will build on that momentum by dialing up all of its features - gameplay, AI, presentation, visuals, audio, online and more - to deliver what's expected to be the best basketball video game experience EVER.
- NHL 2K11 (Fall 2010) - Taking video game hockey to a new level, Wii MotionPlus brings revolutionary stick control to your Wii Remote with the ability to execute real-time (one-to-one) dekes, puck juggling, shooting and defensive maneuvers.
- New Carnival Games (Fall 2010) - And we do mean New! The family fun of the original multi-million unit seller soars to new heights with all-new games, attractions and prizes. There's multiplayer action for every game and a franchise first: compatibility with Wii MotionPlus.
- Nickelodeon Fit (November 2010) - The first fitness game designed specifically for children featuring Nickelodeon's favorite characters. It's exercise fun with Dora, Diego, Kai-lan and The Backyardigans - with a youthful emphasis on heart health, cardio, strength building and endurance.
*Some titles available by appoinent only
I have a very bad feeling about this "reboot" that they are calling it.
Yea, this is just like calling Rape surprise sex. Either way you look at it, this is NOT X-COM. Do not want! Burn it with Fire!
To be fair, of the 5 games that were released with XCOM in the title, only 1-1.5 were really XCOMish.
I will fight you to defend Apocalypse's honor.
6 games. The original X-com, X-com 2 Terror from the Deep, X-com Apocaclypse, and Email X-com were all excellent but only the first is a classic. Even Intercepter wasn't bad and was closer to an X-com than this.
Laser Squad was more XCom than this.
I'm not saying they were bad, just not all that similar except for I guess being in the same universe, and having some sort of combat/world/base stuff.
I get the same feeling.