Overall, net sales were down 22%, from $20.36 billion in FY2008 to $15.89 billion in FY2009, with the company's net income dipping 18.1% to $2.5 billion in FY2009.
In conjunction with its earnings, the company provided an update on the sales of its hardware and software, revealing that the Wii has now achieved the "largest cumulative unit sales performance for console hardware in our company's history."
Wii Hardware Sales
- FY 2008 - 25.95 Million
- FY 2009 - 20.53 Million
- Lifetime Total - 70.93 Million
By March 2011, Nintendo estimates it will have sold an additional 18 million Wii.
Nintendo DS Hardware Sales
- FY 2008 - 31.18 Million
- FY 2009 - 27.11 Million
- Lifetime Total - 128.89 Million
- of which Nintendo DSi - 17.82 Million
- of which Nintendo DSi XL - 2.08 Million
Across the next year, Nintendo expects to sell an additional 30 million Nintendo DS units. That projection includes "forecast units" for the upcoming Nintendo 3DS, though the company did not break down the estimate on a per-hardware basis.
As for software, sales on both Nintendo DS and Wii were likewise down:
Wii Software Sales
- FY 2008 - 204.58 Million Units
- FY 2009 - 191.81 Million Units
- Lifetime Total - 544.83 Million Units
Nintendo DS Software Sales
- FY 2008 - 197.31 Million Units
- FY 2009 - 151.59 Million Units
- Lifetime Total - 718.5 Million Units
Notable Software Sales in FY2009
Well there ya go,
Console gaming is Dead!
I'm suprised no one took the bait yet.
Yeah, the shack sure is a fickle lady.