iPhone Super Monkey Ball Sells 300,000 on App Store, Accounts for Over 10% of iPhone Software Sales

Other Ocean's iPhone edition of Amusement Visions' Super Monkey Ball has sold more than 300,000 copies in the 20 days following its launch last month on the iPhone App Store, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The accelerometer-powered, tilt-sensing title was sold for $9.99 on the App Store, Apple's digital distribution platform for iPhone and iPod Touch software downloads. The game amounted to over 10% of the App Store's total software sales in the month since its launch, which totaled about $30 million.

"That's a substantial business," said Sega of America president Simon Jeffery. "It gives iPhone a justifiable claim to being a viable gaming platform."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs also revealed that the App Store totaled more than 60 million downloads in the same period, though most of those were free downloads. Jobs expressed his enthusiasm for the burgeoning market, expecting that sales would remain brisk.

"This thing's going to crest a half a billion [in yearly sales], soon," Jobs said. "Who knows, maybe it will be a $1 billion marketplace at some point in time."

Apple retains 30% of the proceeds from App Store software revenue to cover transaction fees and other operating costs. Developers, meanwhile, keep the remaining 70%.

Numerous games already available on the App Store, including a version of Vicarious Visions' Crash Nitro Kart and Hudson's Bomberman series. An iPhone edition of EA's life-sim Spore is currently planned for release next month, along with the 3D action adventure title Krull, developed by Digital Legends Entertainment.

Filed Under
From The Chatty
  • reply
    August 11, 2008 12:00 PM

    Is the game any good? I don't have an iphone, but from all the demos I've seen the tilt sensor never seemed accurate enough for a game like this.

    • reply
      August 11, 2008 12:03 PM

      its alright, level 7 or whatever without walls is a bitch so i stopped playing

    • reply
      August 11, 2008 12:05 PM

      It's actually TOO accurate. The point of causing serious frustration at times. It would be nice if they'd tone it down a little or give you more than one chance to complete a level. Having to play through 9 levels again for a chance to complete the 10th in order to unlock the next world just isn't fun.

      • reply
        August 11, 2008 12:08 PM

        how could something be too accurate? is it too sensitive?
        either it's accurate or it's not.

        • reply
          August 11, 2008 12:16 PM

          well yeah its too sensitive is what I think he's saying
          I agree nothing can be too accurate, but I wouldnt say accuracy is either here or not there, there is degrees of accuracy in a six axis measuring device, like a nanometre, a mm, or a cm of tilt registering as movement

          • reply
            August 11, 2008 12:41 PM

            No I think he might be saying it's accurate, but he can't keep his hands still?

            If you drink a bit too much coffee or have nerve issues, maybe 'too accurate' is... an accurate description? lol

            • reply
              August 11, 2008 1:04 PM

              i was originally talking about precision & accuracy. some of the vids i've seen of other tilt sensitive apps looked a bit jerky or laggy, like it was skipping some input from the tilt sensor or sticking, it wasn't smooth.

              he seems to be saying it's precise, but it's too sensitive. i guess it sort of has to be because if you had to use large movements / tilt it more, it would be hard to keep the action on the screen visible.

              • reply
                August 11, 2008 4:04 PM

                I dunno mang.

                this game is all about precise control. Perhaps it should have a sensitivity setting, like crash cart does, but I really enjoyed working through those levels... and it gets hard towards the end.

                You gotta be patient and relaxed.

        • reply
          August 11, 2008 12:17 PM

          Yes, too sensitive.

    • reply
      August 11, 2008 12:17 PM

      It is very, very sensitive. Forget about playing it unless you are completely still.

      Once you get used to the sensitivity it is pretty fun, but still quite difficult.

    • reply
      August 11, 2008 12:59 PM

      The game Labyrinth is a good ( free ) showing of the tilt quality. It's actually quite impressive.

      • reply
        August 11, 2008 6:58 PM

        Yes it's very impressive. The controls of Labyrinth are pretty much flawless.

Hello, Meet Lola