Software sales eclipsed hardware sales in both dollar amounts and year-over-year change. The 62% year-over-year increase in software sales brought in $1.31 billion for the month, led by 1.57 million units of Infinity Ward's shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, X360) for Xbox 360.
Nintendo's Mario Galaxy (Wii) and Ubisoft Montreal's Assassin's Creed (PC, PS3, X360) on Xbox 360, both released later in the month, brought in second and third place in sales with 1.12 million units and 980,000 units sold, respectively. Notably absent from the top-10 best-sellers, listed below, is Harmonix's Rock Band (PS2, PS3, X360), which sold a combined 382,000 units across both PS3 and Xbox 360.
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360, Infinity Ward, Activision) 1.57 million
- Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo) 1.12 million
- Assassin's Creed (X360, Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft) 980,000
- Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Bundle (PS2, Budcat, Activision) 967,000
- Wii Play with remote (Wii, Nintendo) 564,000
- Mass Effect (X360, BioWare, Microsoft) 473,000
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3, Infinity Ward, Activision) 444,000
- Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Bundle (Wii, Vicarious Visions, Activision) 426,000
- Halo 3 (X360, Bungie, Microsoft) 387,000
- Assassin's Creed (PS3, Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft) 377,000
1) Rock Band wasn't out on PS2 in November, was it?
2) I think the problem is purely price. $170 is a lot of money to blow on one game, even if we all know it's totally worth it. :P
No PS2 Rock Band till Dec. 18.
The limited supply had quite a bit to do with it as well, I imagine.
Was it really that limited? I guess it must depend on your area, but I saw copies of Rock Band everywhere on Black Friday. I still can't find Guitar Hero 3 on 360 though, even now.
Well it's limited if for no other reason than it takes up a lot more space than other games.
But yeah I think price is the main deal - it's approaching the price of a Wii. It's $30 shy of Steel Battalion, a game which if you bought it you were considered insane. GH3 is $80 with controller, that's just $30 more than a typical game (add $10 to both figures for 360)
GH3 for wii is $90 for the record, but that doesn't defeat ur point at all, i found it quiet easy to find a GH3 as apposed to a bundle of Rockband (finding Rockband just the game was easy as shit....but why would you do that honestly?)