Ubisoft: Wii U hasn't sold enough to make more exclusives

By Alice O'Connor, Jun 12, 2013 5:15pm PDT

Ubisoft was behind one of the Wii U's most notable exclusives, ZombiU, but CEO Yves Guillemot has said the company won't make more exclusives until more people own the console.

However, making games for Wii U has been a valuable learning experience for the fancy second-screen features Ubi unveiled for loads of games at E3.

"We need more sold," Guillemot told Kotaku straight. "They are coming with five of their biggest brands ever. And the Yen went down. So maybe they will take steps that will increase the number of consoles sold."

Ubi spewed second-screen functionality all over the place at E3, announcing companion apps which will hook into several games to let players join in without picking up a controller, or even necessarily being in the same room. Tom Clancy's The Division, Assassin's Creed 4 and The Crew all feature such fanciness, and developing for the Wii U GamePad helped experiment with ways to use a second screen.

"What we did last year, was we knew we could learn second-screen with Nintendo, so we went full-speed to use this capacity the console was bringing," he explained.

"And we were able to develop Rayman, which will come at the end of this year and which is fantastic, using this second screen. What we saw is that, in learning that, we can also use it with the other consoles with Smart Glass, for example, and it's a good option that is coming to us."

Rayman Legends was notably announced as a Wii U exclusive but is now coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Vita too. Ubisoft even delayed it by nine months to launch alongside the others.

Guillemot also hinted that we may see more of something ZombiU-ish some day, though from his chat it'd be surprising if such a game were exclusive to Wii U again.

Click here to comment...

Comments

1 Thread | 26 Comments