If you are still playing Doom, you will be getting a rather hellish patch today in the form of update 6.66, which fixes a bunch of bugs and other issues. But the big news is that all the multiplayer DLC is now unlocked, as the season pass has officially been eliminated.
Billed as the "Ultimate" Doom, not to be confused with the 1995 Ultimate, the update debuts in time for a free weekend for players that have yet to give the game a try. Players will get the first two levels of the Doom campaign, Arcade mode, and unlimited access to multiplayer and SnapMap modes. As with any free weekend, if you choose to purchase the game later, all your progress will carry over. The free weekend will have a staggered release: 9 a.m. PT / noon ET on July 20 for Xbox One; 10 a.m. PT / 1 p.m. ET on July 20 for PC; and 9 a.m. PT / noon ET on July 27 for PS4. If you want to buy the game after your hellish experience, Bethesda is dropping the price of the game and all the DLC to $14.99.
The patch also makes major changes to multiplayer progression, while revising the UI, implementing a new rune system and offering better player information. Doom Game Director Marty Stratton laid out all the changes in a post on the official Bethesda site.
Bethesda created an FAQ to help fans wade through all the changes. Here are the full Doom Update 6.66 patch notes:
- Fixed an issue where textures appeared to glow on the player’s character.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where players would respawn frozen at the beginning of a Freeze Tag round.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where parts of the player model appeared transparent in some circumstances.
- Fixed an issue where players would disconnect from a match under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue in Infernal Run where picking up the ball when out of ammo would cause problems with passing or receiving the ball.
- Fixed an issue with the Multiplayer Challenge “Aimbot Hax” where Reaper Longshots would not count towards challenge completion.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer with inconsistent power item spawns on Outbreak.
- Added rotate on XYZ axis to the Grab Object manipulate controls
- Added setting to remove network limitation on single player only maps.
- Resolved various freeze and crash bugs.
- Fixed various matchmaking and lobby issues.
- Fixed visual bugs that result from combining specific HUD elements
- Fixed various freezes and crashes with using Campaign Model.
- Fixed coop crash with Bob and Rotate settings.
- Fixed bug that caused AI to run into blocking volumes set to Block Demons and AI Sight.
- Improved collision issues causing AI to partially fall into blocking volumes set to Block Demons.