4chan is usually a rotting cesspool of bile, misinformation and intentional misdirection, and those are its better qualities. So "leaks" that come from there should be treated with all the seriousness of a tweet from dear old POTUS #45. However, even the proverbial blind squirrel occasionally stumbles on some nuts, as was evidenced with a leak of a Nintendo Direct in January that got almost all the information correct. Now we are getting another leak, and its up to you to determine what's nuts.
Here are the details that are rumored to be released in an April 1 stream (via NintendoToday):
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD: A remaster of the GameCube classic for Nintendo Switch. In addition to bringing back the features fans loved about the original, some things are tweaked and balanced, like the back tracking in Twilight Town. The game is scheduled for release in October.
- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo Switch: A port of Mario Maker is coming to Switch with the Wii U features intact. This includes Amiibo support, Costume Mario, and uploading levels to Course World. A couple new course features are introduced as well, like slopes.
- Breath of the Wild DLC: Gameplay is shown of the Cave of Trails, which was announced back in February. The new feature in the map shows players when enemy camps are nearby.
- Splatoon 2: A new trailer is shown detailing the game’s story mode. Agent 3 must defend Inkopolis from the Octarians as they invade Inkopolis and try to steal back the Great Zapfish. Bill also talks about the game’s ranked modes, which include the returning Splat Zones and Tower Control, along with a new mode. In addition, all 3 modes can be selected separately at any time, and are not tied to a time rotation like the stages. The game will also be compatible with the Splatoon series of Amiibo, and the Amiibo challenges from the first game are returning.
- Virtual Console: Virtual Console will be starting up soon. NES and SNES titles are planned to start being released in May. Gamecube Games are indeed coming to the Virtual Console. Certain games that required Analog Triggers will have the option to configure the shoulder buttons to indicate a light, or full press. For example, pressing R will indicate a light press, or ZR will indicate a full press. Super Smash Bros. Melee will be available in early June, with Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash coming in late June.
- Indie Games: Bill passes it over to Damon Baker, who announces release dates for some of the Indie Games described in the Indie Presentation back in February. Runner 3 will launch on October 12th, SteamWorld Dig 2 will launch on June 8th, Overcooked: Special Edition will launch on May 18th, Stardew Valley will release on July 13th, and Shakedown Hawaii will release on April 6th.
- Ever Oasis: Damon them passes it back to Bill to talks about upcoming 3DS games. This section starts with talking about Ever Oasis, which releases on June 8th.
- Lady Layton: Lady Layton is coming to the US, and is planned for a 2018 release date.
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Details on the special edition of the game are given, as well as a deeper look into the game’s world, and what the Alm and Celica Amiibo do. The Amiibo can allow you to summon certain characters from past Fire Emblem titles to add to your party. You can also scan previously released Amiibo of FE characters and add them.
- ARMS: The direct ends with the new trailer for ARMS. It details the game’s story mode, and announces 4 new characters. The game releases on May 29th.
So there you have the dilemma. First, it's 4chan. Then, it is on a Saturday, which is unusual, but not unheard of. But then we have April 1, the day when outlandish claims only believed by Fools are the norm and rarely, if ever, true. But, 4chan was right last time. A fluke? A setup to punk everyone the next time? Who knows. But there is your "news."
Bottom line is don't get your hopes up. And if this is true and Nintendo indeed says nothing at all about Smash Bros., then the world as we know continues to make no sense.