The smoke has cleared from another month of the next-gen console wars. The month of March saw the PlayStation 4 continue to reign atop the hardware sales charts. And while overall software sales dropped 28 percent from last year, the PS4 and Xbox One both continued to sell sharply and bring in a 78 percent hardware sales increase from last year.
"PS4 and Xbox One continue to see success with cumulative sales of the two consoles through the first five months currently totaling more than double that of their predecessors, the PS3 and Xbox 360," said the NPD Group's Liam Callahan.
Moving to the realm of software sales, the futuristic mechs of Titanfall were able to hold off the superhuman Delsin Rowe, as Respawn's shooter reigned supreme in March over Infamous: Second Son. Meanwhile, the lovable foul-mouthed kids of South Park found themselves with the #3 slot with The Stick of Truth. And the old guard continues to hold strong, as Call of Duty: Ghosts stayed steadfast at #4. Two other major debuts followed, with Dark Souls 2 and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes at #5 and #6, respectively.
- Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; new releases bolded)
- Titanfall (XBO, PC)
- inFAMOUS Second Son (PS4)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (360, PS3, PC)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)
- Dark Souls II (PS3, 360)
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, XBO, PS3, 360)
- NBA 2K14 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3, PSV)
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, NWU, XBO, PS4, PSV)
- Minecraft (360)