Electronic Arts took a beating in capturing four of the top five slots, with EA Maxis' The Sims 2 taking the not-so-coveted second place by reaching over 1.1 million downloads. The EA-published Crysis and Command & Conquer 3 came in at fourth and fifth, respectively.
Ubisoft's PC port of Assassin's Creed grabbed a reluctant third place with over a million downloads. The game was leaked to torrent networks over six weeks ahead of its retail release in April. Ubisoft later sued disc replicator Optical Experts Manufacturing (OEM) for $10 million in damages, believing that an OEM employee was responsible for the leak.
The rest of the list follows:
- Spore / 1,700,000 / Sept. 2008
- The Sims 2 / 1,150,000 / Sept. 2004
- Assassins Creed / 1,070,000 / Nov. 2007
- Crysis / 940,000 / Nov. 2007
- Command & Conquer 3 / 860,000 / Mar. 2007
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare / 830,000 / Nov. 2007
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas / 740,000 / Jun. 2005
- Fallout 3 / 645,000 / Oct. 2008
- Far Cry 2 / 585,000 / Oct. 2008
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 / 470,000 / Oct. 2008