For the Gears of War fan with money to burn, two fancy versions of Gears of War 3 packed full of bonus content and goodies were announced today by developer Epic Games and publisher Microsoft.
The $80 Limited Edition of Gears 3 will pack a replica metal Octus Service Medal engraved with a code to unlock Adam Fenix for multiplayer, along with a fabric COG flag and "the personal effects of Adam Fenix," including his will, other documents, and photos.
The $150 Epic Edition will contain all the above plus a foot-high PVC statue of Marcus Fenix, exclusive weapon skins, and a book by 'Extra Lives' author Tom Bissell with interviews and art.
Gears of War 3 will be released exclusively for Xbox 360 on September 20.
Here's the full rundown of the Epic and Limited editions' contents:
Limited Edition ($79.99 US):
- An Octus Award Box with Octus Service Medal – A 1:1 match in size and weight, this zinc-alloy cog-shaped medal replicates the award given to Adam Fenix in recognition of his work on the Hammer of Dawn.
- Dimensions: 77 mm (3 in.) x 10 mm (0.4 in.)
- Exclusive Unlockable Adam Fenix Multiplayer Character – Each Octus Service Medal replica is engraved with a unique Xbox LIVE code that is the only way to unlock Adam Fenix in multiplayer.
- A fabric COG Flag – Proud colors that once flew above the House of Sovereigns.
- The personal effects of Adam Fenix, including his "Last Will and Testament," the initial Hammer of Dawn schematic, and other Fenix family mementos.
Epic Edition ($149.99 US):
- A Limited Edition Marcus Fenix Statue – Designed by Epic Games Art Director Chris Perna and expertly crafted by the artisans at Triforce, this fine PVC statue collectible makes the ultimate living room centerpiece for any true "Gears" fan.
- Dimensions: height 285 mm (11.2 in.), diameter 225 mm (8.9 in.).
- Weight: 1.7 kg (3.7 lb.)
- The Art and Design of Gears of War by Tom Bissell - Through unprecedented access to the Epic Games team, acclaimed author Tom Bissell (Extra Lives) gives readers an incisive behind-the-scenes glimpse into one of the most celebrated sagas in video game history with 96 pages of interviews, photos, concept artwork and more.
- Infected Omen Weapon Pack -- Custom multiplayer skins for the game's five starting weapons; Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Sawed-off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.
- All the contents of the "Gears of War 3" Limited Edition.