Following the acquisition of Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software in 2007, Ubisoft took control of the ongoing Anno franchise. Previous games in the series--Anno 1404, Anno 1503: The New World, Anno 1602: Creation of a New World, and Anno 1701--focused on historical eras, making this the first time the series has explored a futuristic setting. "Anno 2070 is a very ambitious game that will feel both familiar and fresh to fans of the series,” Ubisoft's EMEA brand director Caroline Stevens said. Stevens added that the game's futuristic setting meant the development team "wasn’t restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before." Let's see if hardcore fans of the series agree with the new, futuristic direction. Key features highlighted in the press release include:
Anno 2070 brings the series to the future.
- A new era: while adhering to the fundamentals that made the Anno franchise a success, the near-future setting will bring numerous new gameplay mechanics, architectural breakthroughs, and all new challenges. Additionally, players will be able to build massive cities, the scope of which has never been seen in prior Anno games.
- A dynamic world: the world of Anno 2070 will evolve differently depending on each player’s playing style and choices. Players’ decisions will have an impact on the environment, the architectural look of their world, and the needs of their populations, leading them to refine and better understand the impact of their personal approaches to managing the world’s resources.
- Factions: players will be able to select between two factions when building their empires. Players can choose between an industrial and efficient course by joining the Tycoons or a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly direction by siding with the Ecos.
- Single player campaign: a story-driven single player mode with a deep variety of challenges.
- Single player “continuous mode”: the renowned endless game mode where the objective is to build the biggest civilization possible without time constraints.
- Multiplayer and Online features: Anno 2070 will include innovative online modes offering players brand new possibilities to get in touch with gamers all around the world.