Morning Discussion

By Jeff "geedeck" Gondek, Jan 16, 2008 5:39am PST

How is everyone doing today? Awww, come on it can't be that bad, can it? Maybe it'll cheer you hear about a scaled down Uwe Boll? Oh you mean you willingly saw that, I'm sorry. Well did you hear that the former City of Heroes developers might handle Star Trek Online? Still nothing, eh? Well if Nick's crack game journalism doesn't do it, I give up.

Click here to comment...

  • Computer Hardware/Tech menz

    I need some upgrade thoughts and advice. In reply.

    Thread Truncated. Click to see all 3 replies.

    • So here's the deal. This is what my current computer looks like.

      E6300 Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz 1066 FSB 2MB cache
      Asus P5B-VM uATX (original version not SE)
      2x1GB Geil DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 running at 5-5-5-15
      Radeon 256MB X1950XT
      2x 160GB WD RE2 hdd in RAID 1
      FSP 400W PSU

      Now, I would like to upgrade for a couple reasons.

      1. The RAID setup on this mobo is atrocious. To get internal RAID 1 I have to run an eSATA cable from the backplane of the mobo through the expansion card slot and into the hdd in my case. This is stupid. I also suspect that the JMicron RAID controller is behind a number of stoareg issues and instabilities I've been having since I switched to RAID 1 from a single drive on the ICH8. Thus, I would really like to go to a mobo with a ICH9R to get decent onboard RAID.

      2. Since this not the SE version mobo I cannot install xx50 or xx20 edition processors running the 1333 FSB. It also does not accept Quad Cores. I would like to have these as upgrade options.

      3. This mobo is virtually impossible to overclock more than a few Mhz above stock. This is a mobo limitiation not caused by my CPU or RAM. Also, the OCing options will not let me run my RAM at 4-4-4-12 without failing to boot or crashing. If I don't end up upgrading my CPU in the future I would like to get a bit more jucie out of my E6300.

      Now the questions.

      1. Is their any significant difference between the performance or feature set of the G33 and G35 chipset other than the onboard graphics? Since I'm obviously using my X1950XT I don't care if the onboard is better on the G35.

      2. Would you guys recommend upgrading my CPU to a E6750 or just O/Cing my E6300? Or should I go for an 8800GT+ graphics before worrying about the CPU?

      3. I've been contemplating getting another 2x1GB DDR2 800 while prices are down. Is this a reasonable idea? I plan on going Vista x64 in the near future. Should I just hold off and upgrade once DDR3 establishes itself or get 2x 2GB DDR2 800 to give me some more upgrade room in the future?

      Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.