The 360 Madden stiff-armed its way to 896,600 homes during the game's first month at retail, a considerably higher amount than the 643,600 PS2 versions sold. Using Madden sales as a relative measure of console popularity, it would seem the mainstream move to current-gen consoles has arrived. This shift is seen further by the Xbox 360's 276,000 units shipped during August, beating out the last-gen PS2's 202,000.
Taking third place in software sales was the Xbox 360 version of 2K Boston/2K Australia's underwater shooter BioShock, selling 490,900 units during the month. Nintendo-published Wii titles like Retro Studios' Metroid Prime 3: Corruption took four of the top ten spots in August.
Overall, year-to-date software sales are up 22.0% to $3.8 billion compared to 2006, with August having a 22.5% year-over-year increase in sales to $488 million. Check out the complete list of the month's top-10 best-selling software below
- Madden NFL 08 (X360; EA Tiburon, EA Sports) 896,600 units
- Madden NFL 08 (PS2; EA Tiburon, EA Sports) 643,600 units
- BioShock (X360; 2K Boston/2K Australia, 2K Games) 490,900 units
- Madden NFL 08 (PS3; EA Tiburon, EA Sports) 336,200 units
- Wii Play (Wii; Nintendo) 256,800 units
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii; Retro Studios, Nintendo) 218,100 units
- Mario Strikers: Charged (Wii; Next Level Games, Nintendo) 147,400 units
- Guitar Hero 2 (PS2; Harmonix, RedOctane/Activision) 145,400 units
- Mario Party 8 (Wii; Hudson Soft, Nintendo) 138,300 units
- Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (PS2; Harmonix, RedOctane/Activision) 127,100 units