Neill Blomkamp, the director of District 9, Chappie, and Elysium, and Oats Studios will be livestreaming five of their indie short films on Wednesday, April 11 at 11 AM PDT on Twitch. Each film stream will be followed by a question and answer session with Blomkamp, VFX Supervisor Chris Harvey, and Art Director Rich Simpson. The five short films will air on Oats Studios Twitch channel.
"Since Oats Studios has created a lot of films, doing a live director's commentary for the first time on Twitch is a great way to connect with our fans from all over the world, said Neill Blomkamp. "After we screen each film, we will be discussing them live with the audience and look forward to a spirited conversation with the Twitch community."
“Twitch has proven itself as the premier destination for a live shared viewing experience around televised content,” said Michael Aragon, SVP of Content, Twitch. “Since Neill Blomkamp’s Oats Studio event marks the first time a film director has taken to Twitch to showcase a slate of movies, interact with viewers, and possibly mark the first Twitch community-funded feature film, we’re excited about the future opportunities this could unlock with Hollywood content.”
After each film is streamed, viewers will be able to participate in a Q&A with in Twitch chat. Oats Studios wants to encourage viewers to donate to their fundraising page, giving the audience the opportunity to finance a full-length Firebase feature film.
Here is a breakdown of all of the short films to be streamed live on Twitch:
- Rakka is a military science fiction short film about an Earth enslaved by aliens and stars Sigourney Weaver.
- God is a four-minute short film about a deity manipulating a tribe of prehistoric humans.
- Zygote is a science fiction horror short film about survivors trapped in an Arctic mine fleeing a monster and stars Dakota Fanning.
- Kapture is a five-minute, fully-CGI short film about a military weapons manufacturing facility using unethical means to test its products.
- Firebase is a science fiction horror short film set in an alternate reality within the Vietnam War.