But people bought non-football games as well. In fact, the top 10 is dominated by new games, including Saints Row 4 and Disney Infinity. The NPD Group's Liam Callahan points out that Xbox 360 and PS3 software sales are only down 1% year-to-date. "This is remarkable considering how close we are to the launch of their successors," he noted.
Once again, Nintendo 3DS is the best-selling system for the month. However, "hardware sales were down 40% year over year as every platform experienced a decline," Callahan said, adding "we hope to see hardware sales improve with the launch of the Xbox One and PS4 in November."
Here's the chart:
- Top 11 Games (New Physical Retail only; new releases bolded)
- Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3)
- Saints Row IV (360, PS3, PC)
- Disney Infinity (360, WII, PS3, NWU, 3DS)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (360, PS3, NWU, PC)
- Minecraft (360)
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
- NCAA Football 14 (360, PS3)
- Payday 2 (360, PS3)
- Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn (PS3, PC)
- Pikmin 3 (NWU)
- Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Once again, be mindful that "these sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50 percent of the total consumer spend on games.