505 Games will be publishing the title, the company announced today. The game itself is "targeted for release" in spring 2010, with an accompanying document specifying a Q2 2010 timeframe, meaning it's expected between April 1 and June 30, 2010.
Backbreaker marks the first football game to use NaturalMotion's physics-based animation technology euphoria, said to eliminate "the days of rigid, canned animations" and provide unique tackles each time. Other titles that use euphoria include Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto IV and LucasArts' Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
More details on the game and "work in progress" footage from April 2008 follow: BOOM video 3035
Setting a new standard in football video games, Backbreaker rushes the genre with a new playbook for hard-hitting action. Players take control of an unmatched on-field experience boasting realistic, physics-based AI for an endless variety of unique sacks and tackles, making canned animations a last-season memory. With crisp high-definition graphics and a third-person camera angle that follows the perspective of the ball handler, Backbreaker puts players in the heart of the game. Rookies can easily pick-up-and-play thanks to Backbreaker's intuitive Arcade Mode control scheme, while veteran players can enjoy the game's more difficult Pro Mode that turns off AI assists.
Featuring 11 versus 11 matches, Backbreaker also boasts online multiplayer for up to four players and split-screen multiplayer modes. With total team customization, players can create their own rosters and adjust their team's colors, logos and more. Going on the offense from kickoff to end zone, Backbreaker is how football was meant to be played on next-gen consoles. Players can hit the gridiron with Backbreaker for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION3 platforms in spring 2010.
- Break out from the Pack: Backbreaker redefines standard football games with intuitive plays, an endless variety of unique tackles and outcomes based on actual in-game collisions
- Jump Straight Into Action: Backbreaker offers intuitive controls for casual sports fans intimidated by the complexities and learning curve of other football games
- Feel the Explosive, Hard-Hitting Tackles: Gone are the days of rigid, canned animations. NaturalMotion's euphoria engine delivers high quality, hard-hitting, true-to-life action, giving players an unparalleled experience on the gridiron
- Look Through the One-of-a-kind Camera View: Backbreaker's camera system has been designed to complement the controls, with techniques such as shake and dynamic field-of-view changes that give the game its distinct 'on-the-field' feel, aiding the player by dynamically framing the action
- Watch JumboTron-Worthy Graphics & Instant Replay: Backbreaker uses state-of-the-art animation and rendering technology for high definition dazzle. The instant replay system allows players to celebrate each tackle or touchdown, complete with reactions from crowds 90,000 strong
- Throw the Pigskin Online: Backbreaker supports extensive online functionality including competitive and team co-op (live and split-screen) gameplay online, and the ability to play in exhibition mode with up to four players
- Choose Between Powerful or Precise Plays: In evasive mode, players are more agile and can dodge, turn and jump to avoid threats, though they are more likely to fumble when tackled. In aggressive mode, players can stiff arm and fight through linemen, run faster and fend off big hits and tackles