GDC, DICE May Become Invite-only Next Year

By Aaron Linde, Feb 27, 2008 1:20pm PST Organizers of the Game Developers Conference and DICE may be moving to an invite-only system for members of the press next year, Kotaku reported today.

GDC director Jamil Moledina expressed concerns of maintaining the show's atmosphere and scope in the face of an ever-rising attendance rates and an increased press presence.

"We don't have it nailed down, but we are looking at moving to an invite model for press access at GDC," Moledina said. "It's meant to be a networking event for people who make games, but more and more we are seeing a lot of individuals who are obtaining press credentials who aren't full-time press. It's kind of open to being spoofed."

Increased press presence is also leading DICE organizers to head in a similar direction. "The academy's role, first and foremost, is to make sure the academy members are comfortable and that the role of the media is to be there to watch and not participate," said Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences president Joseph Olin.

The movement towards invite-only events mirrors the Entertainment Software Association's decision last year to retool the E3 Media and Business Summit, which now requires attendees to be invited directly by publishers and developers. In the absence of larger-scale events, many developers are moving towards smaller, invite-only press gatherings to announce and demonstrate upcoming titles.

Click here to comment...

Comments

See All Comments | 8 Threads | 23 Comments